Mag Rim vs Double Walled w/12ga spokes

HoboFresh

Local time
10:13 PM
As the title implies, I'm wondering which of these would be a more sturdy choice. I went with a single wall w/14ga spokes last time, and warped it past the point of being able to bring it back to true. Sooo... something more sturdy is called for. Thanks for the advice everyone! Have a good one. 🙂

I'm also having crazy ideas lol. Like chopping the rear triangle off the bike, and welding on mounts for a dirt bike swingarm and shock absorber, so I can make her a full suspension.

Last edited:
I vote for Dbl walled 12 gauge spoke wheel
If ya use rim brakes the Mag wheel can fail.

I vote for Dbl walled 12 gauge spoke wheel
If ya use rim brakes the Mag wheel can fail.

I'm inclined to agree, since I've been watching videos on it. Watched one guy pull the wall right off his mag rim with a pair of needlenosed pliers with almost no pressure applied.

On an unrelated note - what would I need (besides the rims, levers, cable, rotors and calipers) to switch over to disc brakes, while running the motor. My frame is compatible with front and rear disc, but it's currently running V-brakes on both, since that's how the previous owner set it up.

Because I'm imagining that you take the rear disc rotor off, align the pieces (sprocket, spacer, brake rotor), then bolt the whole thing down to the disc brake mounting holes?

On an unrelated note - what would I need (besides the rims, levers, cable, rotors and calipers) to switch over to disc brakes, while running the motor. My frame is compatible with front and rear disc, but it's currently running V-brakes on both, since that's how the previous owner set it up.

Because I'm imagining that you take the rear disc rotor off, align the pieces (sprocket, spacer, brake rotor), then bolt the whole thing down to the disc brake mounting holes?
I got Drum Brakes on my bike
I'm sure someone will chime in shortly with some disc brake info. (y)

Here's a full suspension the Late KC Vale built.
2_DustinDoneRight.jpg

Here's a couple of ones you can use.
The Kent Avalon is a steel frame. If necessary you could flip the top tube for more room.
9503fced-de5e-4bb6-bdb3-787bafe57158_2.995c5401c4203fb29fafd39f3fe907de.jpeg

The Next Avalon is an aluminum frame.
image.jpeg

Back