Need help with magneto coil

jeffro81

Local time
12:10 AM
Hi i was wondering if anyone can tell me about the magneto coil,ive got a new jap 80cc motor and it would'nt start,it had no spark so i checked the cdi on a mates bike and that works fine,so we looked at the magneto coil and found that it needed adjusting badly,and HORRAY it worked great,the next day i went to go for a decent ride to start to run it in and it wouldn't go??checked for spark and no spark again so i adjusted the magneto again and checked the cdi,cdi works on mates bike but still no spark,could this just be my magneto coil??any ideas would help heaps,thanks

The most common problem is poor wire connections between the magneto and the CDI box. Every once in a while the kill buton in the throttle grip buggers up too.
They are worth a look in.

Thanks for the advice gearnut,i disconnected the kill button and cut the connectors off and reconnected the wires straight to each other and still no go, do you think its proberbly the magneto,im thinking it most likley is:-(thanks

Disregard.... I see you did this.For what it is worth, I did not trust those press-together brass fittings from the magneto. I cut them off and soldered respective wires together for a good connector. For best connection, use solder flux.

Attachments

• plug terminal.jpg
    plug terminal.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 1,220
Last edited:
photo (5).jpg

does this look okay?

-went up a hill with a mate, noticed it wasnt running to well. went to go back down and it made an pop and stalled, zero spark ever since.

-new cdi and spark plug and still no spark

- SkyHawk R80 from MBB Imports

get a meter and check the blue wire to ground for 320-370ohms (usually 2k scale is good for testing)

if not, then check blue wire to the copper wires soldered at the top of coil (maybe the solder came loose)

if it reads OK there, re-solder it - if not, a new coil is needed

all it can be now is the stator coil, unless you have a kill switch installed. In that case just remove it and test again.

Back