Rebuild won't start

I tested them with a magnetometer and they are close to the same strength so it must be the key way cut. This is good to know. I bet somebody could make a killing by retarding or advancing their keyway cut a little bit and selling them.
Yeah there was 2 different magneto rotor variances where the timing key was cut in a ever so slightly different spot. Not really noticeable by eye. Also the magnet might have been stronger in 1 of them.

I tested them with a magnetometer and they are close to the same strength so it must be the key way cut. This is good to know. I bet somebody could make a killing by retarding or advancing their keyway cut a little bit and selling them.
There used to be a adjustable 1 sold years ago, it used a lock cone washer to set & lock timing down. It was a nice setup.

There used to be a adjustable 1 sold years ago, it used a lock cone washer to set & lock timing down. It was a nice setup.
I saw that somewhere, can't remember where. One of these days I'd like to try putting a step in the woodruff key to retard it a bit.
I don't want to mess with mine yet, you know don't fix it if it's not broke kind of thinking.

I saw that somewhere, can't remember where. One of these days I'd like to try putting a step in the woodruff key to retard it a bit.
I don't want to mess with mine yet, you know don't fix it if it's not broke kind of thinking.
They sell stepped woodruff keys. Lots of tuners use them

Just use a couple star washers & remove the keyway & set timing where you want it & then tighten mag nut. No keyway needed. Or your can grind a step in your keyway if wanted.

Just use a couple star washers & remove the keyway & set timing where you want it & then tighten mag nut. No keyway needed. Or your can grind a step in your keyway if wanted.
I have a handful of keys on a slow boat from China. Have you ever tried the key less method? Seems sketchy to me but if it came loose nothing would break.

I have a handful of keys on a slow boat from China. Have you ever tried the key less method? Seems sketchy to me but if it came loose nothing would break.
Yeah I do it if I need the timing. With star washers, 1 I placed over the shaft b4 the mag rotor & 1 after the mag rotor is put on the shaft. It wont go anywhere.

Yeah I do it if I need the timing. With star washers, 1 I placed over the shaft b4 the mag rotor & 1 after the mag rotor is put on the shaft. It wont go anywhere.
Thanks. I'll try it. My bike is running great and I've been riding it to work most days now. Want to get as much time in before the rains come and the snow flies.

Back