NEW INSTALL, HARD TURN NO SPARK

Broken wire is exactly what I found today when I was replacing the CDI. Unfortunately the break is so close to the CDI that I don't think it's worth trying to get it reconnected.
I am sure it was my fault, I was just inexperienced and inept.. I put what I thought was good amount of "waterproofing" around the wires as they enter the sheath that sticks up from the CDI, and then I tried to bend them out of the way of my exhaust, so that pulled the thin crappy wire and it broke. :oops:

The CDI wires are very thin.
Odd that they are thinner than the wires on the magneto. The plug wire and boot from the kit are absolute bollox though. The NGK boot and a decent wire are very inexpensive so it isn't worth not replacing them.

Yeah, I did the same. I put dielectric silicone grease at the connection points on the CDI wire, at the CDI connection and at the spark plug boot. I cut the ends of the wire to ensure that I had a good connection at either end and screwed it back into place. I figured the silicone grease would keep water out of the connections. I usually over engineer the hell out of everything, just to be on the safe side. I will probably heat shrink wrap the entire length of the ignition wires once I get a solid connection established. I am also considering extending the white wire (if there is one, otherwise making one) and terminating it at a spot if I want to use it a later time.

Side Note: Considering the white wire in conjunction with a TI LM138 regulator and an auto shutoff diode to power a battery to use for ________. Not sure if someone has done something like this on the boards, but I can take a crack at it and see how well my design performs. If anyone would like me to post that process here, I wouldn't mind making a how-to.

Last edited:
Again guys, like Crassius mentioned, modifications are shooting you in the butt (arse in my part of the world, which is a horse in others).

Build it as designed first. Get it running. Try it in stock configuration.
Then try the modifications, one by one.

do not do anything with white wire unless you know what it is for - different kinds of white wire out there now

How many movies:
"is it the blue wire.... or the white wire... one stops the bomb, the other is instant destruction. THINK damn it... Which is it???"

Opened the magneto housing and I see that the white wire is spliced with the black wire, is this acceptable?

Attachments

• IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 143
Usually it's white and blue, but you don't use the white wire anyway so it don't matter.

Back