Exhaust no muffler on a 2 stroke?

that won't work. you need something to pulse the spark plug.(like a distributor in a car does) it's not just one spark, it's multiple, pulsed sparks.
i have flame throwers on my 55 pontiac, and it's more of a science that just putting some voltage to a spark plug.
plus, you'd have to run it REALLY rich...so much so that you would have to have raw gas coming out of the pipe.

Last edited:
got a question for ya about the flame throwers?

when your shooting flames out the back, are ya running on 7 cylinders? ie robbing power from one spark plug/cylinder.

is that how your getting extra fuel to the exaust (one cylinder not firing)

actually, no that's not how it works.
the way it works is there is a control box that is wired into the ignition system of the car.
the control box acts as a secondary distributor sending a pulse signal to 2 separate ignition coils mounted in the trunk. what you do is rev the engine up and push a button. by pushing the button, it takes power from the distributor in the engine, and relays it to the control box. the control box pulses the signal sent to the coils in the trunk, and the coils fire spark plugs mounted in the exhaust with many rapid pulses as if they were hooked to a distributor. when you rev the motor and push the button, it temporarily interupts spark to all 8 spark plugs in the engine. so you are actually killing the ignition, and allowing raw un burned fuel to be pushed out the exhaust by the still moving pistions. you push the button, pump the throttle and pull the choke. you let go of the button before the engine winds down to a stop, and spark is redirected to the ditributor and out to all 8 plugs and the engine starts running again. it takes a bit to work out a rhythem to get good results.
but, this is not the best thing for a motor to go through because you are washing the cylinders down with raw gasoline when you shoot flames.
I don't do it very often but when i do, it's pretty cool.

Last edited:
That is one sweet ride !
On motorcycles the timing was off when the flames came out the straight pipe exhaust.
So in days of old when cars were bold how was it done ?
It was just burning off the excess fuel. A spark was all that was needed.
In the middle of last century there was not a lot of the fancy electronic gagets there are today.
Setting the timing was a art that involved a mason jar set on a fender.
It seem these bike engines run rich.
So a plug wire from the CDI may be needed. Any chance that might work ?. Duel plug wire CDI ?
So much for the white wire being useful for anything other than lights.

Motorpsyhco:
Why so complicated? Why not just use an old fuel injector fed from a small spare tank and inject gas into the pipe and fire it with the plug? Just hit the switch and flame on. Cool flames! Doesn't matter how you get em, but if you got em, flaunt em.
-Mike

i agree ive seen other peoeples HT's with straight pipes and aparantly they work.
My only advice is to ensure that the bore isnt too big and that there is at least some backpressure.

Motorpsyhco:
Why so complicated? Why not just use an old fuel injector fed from a small spare tank and inject gas into the pipe and fire it with the plug? Just hit the switch and flame on. Cool flames! Doesn't matter how you get em, but if you got em, flaunt em.
-Mike

first of all, to do that you would need a high pressure fuel pump for fuel injection mounted inside the small tank. and then, you would have to have a power source to fire the injector. a fuel injector atomizes the fuel for a better burn so a SMALL shot of fuel from an injector would create a huge ball of flame. and then there's the obsticle of getting the spark plug to fire...you can't just hook 12 volts to a spark plug to make it fire. you need alot more voltage,(which is where the coil comes into play) and it has to be pulsed to make it work right. (just like how a distributor pulses each plug in a an engine.) you could make a flame thrower out of an old distributor with a blower motor running it (to make it spin) but you would still need the coil to boost the voltage going to the spark plug. i'm not saying that your idea wouldn't work, because it has been done. some people use nitrous oxide solenoids instead of fuel injectors to inject fuel into the pipes.
i'm just saying that anything is possible, it all depends on how much $$ you want to spend.
the flame thrower that i have on my car cost me $10.00 on e-bay (this kit normally sells for about $100.00 out of the magazines) i got lucky and found the kit brand new on e-bay and i got it for $10.00. i had to add the spark plugs, the coils and the plug wires to make it a complete kit but i'm still under $50.00 for the whole set-up...plus it's "old school" which is a big hit around the traditional car guys. they really don't care for the "new" style of injection flame throwers that use injectors or propane.
i made a propane injection flame thrower out of an ether injection solenoid from a diesel engine about 2 years ago. it worked great, but it was pretty dangerous. a 4 foot diameter fire-ball coming out of an exhaust pipe is pretty unpredictable and uncontrollable.
back in the 50's they used to use Ford 6-volt model A coils hooked to a 12 volt system to create the same sort of set up that i have on my car now.
like i said, anything is possible and anything can be done if you put your mind to it.
sometimes it's just easier to buy something that's already made to do the job rather than trying to peice things together. especially when playing with gasoline and spark.

Last edited:
20% WoW and what method was used to get this figure? seeing the baffles on two strokes actually ad to performance and all... :whistle:
Playing with expansion chamber size baffle/stinger length is where the HP comes from in two strokes not removing them

I too removed my muffler, but totally by accident. It fell off during a ride, 🤬 (lol). I don't have a formula or tool for gauging how much extra power or the exact amount gained, but on my bicycle/engine, before muffler loss, I was at a slow rolling start as usual and my bicycle would bog down and shut off with out being assisted by my pedaling, 😔😭. Yet, now after the muffler was removed I am at a very slow rolling start and front tire came off ground, 😲😁! As compared to before I may not have had enough speed to keep bike from bogging down and shutting off. So There is a much quicker and easier start on the engine. Also it seems to have increased speed. 👍

I too removed my muffler, but totally by accident. It fell off during a ride, 🤬 (lol). I don't have a formula or tool for gauging how much extra power or the exact amount gained, but on my bicycle/engine, before muffler loss, I was at a slow rolling start as usual and my bicycle would bog down and shut off with out being assisted by my pedaling, 😔😭. Yet, now after the muffler was removed I am at a very slow rolling start and front tire came off ground, 😲😁! As compared to before I may not have had enough speed to keep bike from bogging down and shutting off. So There is a much quicker and easier start on the engine. Also it seems to have increased speed. 👍
10 year old thread necro lol. I would venture to guess the reason your getting more power without the muffler is because you are jetted way too rich.

Back