Overheating Engine and components

Adrian

Local time
12:13 PM
So I just finished the building of the motor and after I ride for litterally 3 ~ 5 minutes the engone gets so hot that it smokes! I bumped my knee on the muffler and it was scorching hot and super painful. I need help on how to fix this overheating problem thx.

Check n make sure you don't have any air leaks. Carb side, muffler side. Also when your engine is sitting cold and unused... torque your head cover bolts to 12-15 lbs. ******* If it's a new engine it would be an even better idea to check the 4 head cover studs are seated all the way before torquing. In order to do that it's a little more work.

My muffler is not screwed in all the way can that cause it to overheat?

Ok so that stopped the smoke...but its still pretty hot? I am still breaking in some maybe thats causing it.

these motors have been handled a LOT by chinese guys with greasy hands - expect a bit of smoke for a while till it burns the grease off

exhaust gases are at about 1400 degrees, so muffler will be very hot and may even get a burn mark on outside after some time

this is all normal, but leaving the muffler loose at all will soon coat your motor with oil from exhaust - don't do that

Ok thanks for the responces :). I want to know if the engine will get less hot as I keep breaking my engine in because I want to be able to travel further on the motorcycle, but im nervous that the motor will overheat.

Just break it in slowly. Your engine will feel a little different when it's broken in and you've used it for a little while. Then ride it to a distance you feel comfortable riding it. See how it does. ** Like you I was uncomfortable at the beginning not knowing the motors' limits. Now that I know how it behaves, I can easily do a 40 mile trip a day, ( 20 miles in each direction) without worrying. Sounds like you just gotta give it a little time for you to get acquainted with your bike. I WILL SAY THIS, YOU WILL NEED TO CHECK THE BIKE BEFORE EVERY RIDE. Give the chain a good "wiggle", too loose? Adjust the tensioner. Can you push your motor side to side? Any movement is bad. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THOUGH. Should just be snug. Try and give your carb A slight gentle Twist, does it move? It shouldn't. Check your motor mount nuts, are they tight? Have they moved? Double up on them, and use lock-nuts if you have them. You will have to do this every time you ride. Does not take nearly as long as reading this. It will become second nature if you ride the MBs enough. Oh yeah don't forget to have fun. And to answer your question unless there's an air leak somewhere, no. Your engine will run hot, and you will feel the heat if you ride with shorts on. You can upgrade your head cover to a CNC aluminum head cover that will help with heat dissipation and may even give slightly more compression. Will it still seem like its running hot to you? YES. Will your engine have a less chance of overheating and heat related failure? YES. It will still feel hot to you, but your motor will thank you with miles of ride time.

Last edited:
Thanks I already got in the habit of checking the bolts. I have been riding the engine on /off yeaterday and today. Im using a 16:1 ratio so I think I will move up to 20:1 next tank.

Back