Petcock up or down?

Super effective yet remarkably simple engineering of solution to a real-world problem. I'd eat my hat if they don't exist......A reserve tank...that I would like to see!
Reserve tanks DO exist on motorcycles, but I have never seen one in China Girl gas tanks on motorised bicycles...lol.

It's not really a separate tank either, it is just a lower "bulge" area that is built into the gas tank where the petcock resides is all it is where that bottom hole on the petcock tube would be able to suck up the gas from the bottom of the tank is all it really is...The China Girl gas tank do not have this bottom of the tank "bulge" built into them.

Super effective yet remarkably simple engineering of solution to a real-world problem. I'd eat my hat if they don't exist. The only issue I can think of is slosh.

A reserve tank...that I would like to see! it would be small and replace the clamps on the main tank. It may require a X-feed manifold.

I did not post to be condescending or argumentative. We all learn something every day. I would hope this goes forward in a respectful way even if there's disagreement. Sometimes my explanations or comprehension have a lot to be desired.
As Damien wrote...I too hope someone else comes forward and explains this in a better way than I did because I sure mucked it up trying.
Now...where is Wrench...he's got the bad a$$ Whizzer so I'm sure he knows.

Reserve tanks DO exist on motorcycles, but I have never seen one in China Girl gas tanks on motorised bicycles...lol.

It's not really a separate tank either, it is just a lower "bulge" area that is built into the gas tank where the petcock resides is all it is where that bottom hole on the petcock tube would be able to suck up the gas from the bottom of the tank is all it really is...The China Girl gas tank do not have this bottom of the tank "bulge" built into them.
You would need a bent tube then.
I did not post to be condescending or argumentative. We all learn something every day.
Quite the contrary; I found it to be interesting.

Hey guys,

My kit came with a different petcock and I can't find ANYWHERE which way is to open it and feed the carb gas and which way turns it off.
It just frustrates me I can't find something simple like this.
On should be turned straight down and off will be turned to a 90* towards the front of bike

Just take the fuel line off the carb and turn the lever and watch the gas flow out, then turn it off
It's not very complicated.

If it don't work then it looks like ya got a defective petcock.

The shape of the gas tank don't matter when it comes to a reserve petcock
A reserve petcock has two passages. One passage is higher than the other
Switching to reserve the gas goes thru the bottom passage

I have seen a reserve petcock where it has just an on/off lever with no reserve position, The top passage isn't used

The shape of the gas tank don't matter when it comes to a reserve petcock
A reserve petcock has two passages. One passage is higher than the other
Switching to reserve the gas goes thru the bottom passage

I have seen a reserve petcock where it has just an on/off lever with no reserve position, The top passage isn't used
Like I said: so simple it couldn't not work. I'm thinking the "ON" petcock tube on Damien's bike must be somehow touching the bottom of his tank. :unsure:

Back