Phantom Ghost Kit

I can't say anything bad about Phantom Bikes. I bought their Ghost Kit and bought the exhaust pipe and light kit separately so I ended up spending the same as I would of buying a built Ghost Classic. But I got it 6 weeks sooner by ordering the kit and putting it together myself. No regrets I learned a lot during the assembly process.

I was impressed with their CNC engine mount and how every thing fit together perfectly, I didn't have go through any design and fabrication to get the thing to work.

The horn project:

Jimmy (jhammondcpa) and I have been spending a lot of time conversing with each other on our horn projects, we both thought that the 12v magneto that came with Phantom Bike's light kit would power it but it couldn't so Jimmy found a battery that is so small and powerful that in my opinion will look like it was meant to be on the bike.

Unlike most battery installs that I have seen or read about on motorized bicycles this battery will not go in a battery bag on the back rack of the bike.

Jimmy came up with where we are placing it and how we are mounting it so I'll let him describe how we are doing it if he wants.

Along with wiring for the horn I'm adding a LED Flex3 taillight and a small ECCO Amber flashing LED to the rear of the rack. The taillight will be ruining off the magneto that is running the head light and the flasher will be running off the new battery that is also powering the horn. On the handle bar I will have a push button switch for the horn and a on/off switch for the flasher.

Right now I'm waiting on parts and should have everything by the end of this week.

The first picture is the spot Jimmy came with up for the battery the last picture shows an option that I came up with but I like Jimmy's spot better so that is where the battery is going

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 496
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Here is a straight on look at the battery placement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 502
Sweet ride! To bad I can't afford one on my budget. If I could I'd get one custom painted gloss black w orange & yellow flames. I'll have to go with a Wallmart bike (sigh)

Well since this is a video section I figure I better include a video. The hour meter is in the spot the battery is going to be mounted it will be either Velcro on the battery or the bracket.

[video]https://r5---sn-q4f7sn76.googlevideo.com/videoplayback?requiressl=yes&shardbypass=yes&cmbypass=yes&id=ff532063b494f649&itag=18&source=picasa&ip=72.198.198.219&ipbits=0&expire=1424205808&sparams=cmbypass,expire,id,ip,ipbits,itag,mm,ms,mv ,pl,requiressl,shardbypass,source&signature=1C732D5B02B36CD07034E8A12D84579A41C31508 .2602179F2191C4930F275E46DBA164161B9B2327&key=cms1&cms_redirect=yes&mm=30&ms=nxu&mt=1421613944&mv=m&pl=19[/video]

The last week was spent on wiring and installing the tail light and flasher on the rear and the switches on the handle bar to control the horn and the flasher. The tail light is wired into the coil that drives the head light only comes on when the bike is running.

The battery is tiny and is sitting in my desk waiting on the bracket that Jimmy is having made up for his and my bikes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 482
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 456
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 487
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 491
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 474
Wanted to give an update on the bike. Here's a video I took of the bike today showing some stupid bright lights I got for the front of the bike and showing other recent upgrades.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ArShS7_7s0Y

Nice! I'm looking to make my bike street legal with turn signals, head light, tail light, horn & mirrors. I'm using a scooter electrical system as an example & using some motorcycle hardware like the turn signals and mirrors.

The lights that make best MB lighting systems are those used on scooters and motorcycles because they are made for the streets at almost any reasonably fast speeds and are better quality than anything made for a bicycle. I was going to go with a cheap bicycle turn signal brake light system but I read the reviews and those cheap bicycle turn signals don't seem to do well on MBs and the quality on those things are usualy sub par.

I'm getting a 12 volt scooter battery and some bullet shaped motorcycle turn signals & a motorcycle brake light and wiring it all to my rear rack. I'm getting some mirror brackets to mount the front turn signals to my front fork. I'll have to figure out a way to mount a scooter headlight to the front allong with the horn. That would be a little tricky but I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out.

I really like the lithium battery I got you can mount it in anyway, upside down, on it's side it doesn't matter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 733
I really like the lithium battery I got you can mount it in anyway, upside down, on it's side it doesn't matter.

Cool. Is there a difference in power output or power consumption when comparing lithium to lead acid? I found a 12 volt 7 amp lead acid GY6 scooter battery that looks like its about the same size as your lithium battery.

Got my first 1,000 miles on the bike a couple of weeks ago!

Started riding in mid Oct 2014 and hit 1,000 miles this last May. 99% of my rides were 14 mile round trips checking on my 93 yr old Mom and Dad. Coldest day riding was 23 F but had many rides in the 20's and low 30's. When it got in the high 30's and low 40's it almost seemed like Summer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 393
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 426
Back