possible idea for variable speed belt drive

Ok, two more questions. One, if I use a variator pulley, can I manually control the speed by manually controlling the belt tension with a lever-actuated idler pulley (same idea as above, only in conjunction with variator pulley). Two, anyone know where to find a variator pulley that can fit a 5/8 keyed shaft?

I guess you could do that, but I don't see why. The variator changes the ratio on it's own based on rpm and load. But it has to overcome resistance by your chain tensioner. So you can adjust the spring tension on the belt to what you feel keeps the engine at a safe rpm and gives it the most power.

Here's a pocketbike CVT I have- these have the smallest variators you'll be able to find.
View attachment 51734And yet even with the belt running as far on the inside as possible it would still be equivalent to a 1,7/8" pulley. That's too big for your average high rpm engine (especially since the diameter increases to around 3.25" at high rpm) so you would have to use a low rpm engine, ie. A small predator engine. Then your ratios would work out very well. Here's a beautidrawing of how it would all go-
View attachment 51735

Theres 2 ways you can do this- you can use a drive variate pulley and have that force the belt to ride at a larger diameter,

or you could have a simple spring loaded variator (the output one) as your drive and use a belt tensioner that's weaker than the spring in the variator. So when the engine is under heavy load, the belt naturally slides towards the centre of the sheaves and therefore gives it a better fitting gear ratio.

Both of these would require a bit of experimentation with different sized springs.
I'd much rather go with the 2nd option because the belt tension can be adjusted without changing the ratio, as long as both the tensioner spring and variator spring are both increased/decreased at the same time (on the other option you can only change the tensioner). The simple spring loaded output variators are also much cheaper, and practically nothing can go wrong that can't be fixed by changing out a spring or two.

As for clutching you could just let the belt slip via a cable on the tensioner.

You would probably need to use a notched v-belt (ax series would be best suited) or this could happen- image.jpg
That's from my lawnmower bike; the regular belts don't always like to be flexed. But wit such a large drive pulley I don't think this would happen anyways.

If you're mechanically inclined enough and are going forward with this project (and don't mind spending time experimenting with a bunch of different springs) I could modify my variator to fit a 5/8" shaft for cheap (less than 30$ most likely), assuming the dimensions of it allow it to be bored out.

With a pulley that expands to 3.25", my high gear would be 12.5:1, and with a minimum pulley size of 1.875" (1 7/8), my low would be 21:1. I could climb walls in low gear, lol.

I have a primary drive of 2.54:1 that is chain driven with a centrifugal clutch. The variator pulley is going on my jackshaft output, making my secondary drive belt. So with a maximum pulley diameter of 3.25" and a 16" sheave, factoring in a primary drive of 2.54:1 gives me a high gear of 12.54:1 and a possible low gear of 20:1 or so depending on minimum pulley diameter.

If you're mechanically inclined enough and are going forward with this project (and don't mind spending time experimenting with a bunch of different springs) I could modify my variator to fit a 5/8" shaft for cheap (less than 30$ most likely), assuming the dimensions of it allow it to be bored out.

Interested in this possibility, provided you know the minimum and maximum pulley diameters and can modify it for a 5/8 shaft with 3/16 keyway, and if it's a little over $30 that's ok if you can include shipping in the final price. Pm me when you know more, thanks.

Apparently maximum pulley diameter can be limited by belt tension, so all that matters is if it can fit. 5/8 shaft. Definitely interested for $30 or so.

Back