powerking motors 80cc

That's still great customer service. I bought my HT kits with the understanding that there was no warranty whatsoever. I even ordered a spare CDI, magneto and carburetor to keep handy!

Ok All, update on new powerking mtr;got the motor(sent in cardboard box with very little packing,had vibrated completely out of box;bent front mt.bolts and sparkplug tip and 4 fins)...I'll live with it i though,...need to RIDE, lol....took jug off and this motor(silver unfinished) has much larger ports,nice 45degree angle cut in crank ports.....all ports finished well.....took piston off rod.....all inside crankcase looks good ..lots of grease in rod end needle bearing...on inspecting piston...didn't notice the little ring pins and...ok yu guessed...broke top ring(Totally my Fault)...The 1st "special edition"...Black stealth motor did not have these pins,nor any hole drilled in pistons for them ...on dissasembly...noticed the ring that was welded in the piston happened to be at the gap in the ring and located at the center of a crankcase port....after checking positioning of pins on new mtr...looks like locater pins are to keep the ring gaps positioned AWAY from the port openings.....ordered some parts this morn and will fix ,mount ,and try out new motor....know this is ramblin' on ,but hope it helps somehow.......this forum is invaluable,if you read it BEFORE,lol.....Thanksamillion YA'LL...
oh yeah ,almost forgot ,noticed a maring on inside cylinder wall ,top pin on piston was sticking out a little past the ring after it was compressed,I think,dremeled slightly less than flush with ring compressed(still had 1 good one to measure with)......might have caught a ring on crankport on the black motor ,might pay to look at...PHAT

Last edited:
ported and polished cylinder....enlarged....everything ..intake and exhaust..used spookytooth mikuni type carb k&n cleaner....cut out all pipe baffle and turned bottom inside out(small little stinger)....runs really great.....really strong motor.....this piston rod also has the three oiling holes in the rod end......Phat

Last edited:
Got nearly 1000 miles on my power king motor. Only problem that wasn't my fault is that the muffler fell apart at a weld. Local muffler shop welded it back together. I tore it down out of curiosity. There was some carbon build up but other than that everything seemed to be perfect. The head nuts were a tad loose but hey, 1000 miles.

I'm replacing all the gaskets with some red ones that look like much better quality than what's in it and replacing all the screws with stainless steel ones.

Next month I'm going to machine some parts to fit an electric starter motor to it since I've been warned about the cheap flimsy pull starts breaking. Theoretically the motor will become a generator after then engine starts so I'm going to design a 13.8 volt charging controller and put some real lights and turn signals on the bike. Maybe a horn as well.

ok... same 120 miles.. 20:1 tanaka oil mix +yu guessed it ...Blown Motor looks almost exactly like the 1st powerking left side of piston rings broke, cut cylinder at the scavenging port...same road runs ,only took it easy on this motor...same result...anyone know who sells cylinder kit with piston ,pin ,clips and a Good set of rings...thanks... Phat

ocean park's crew was testing several different HT's back in the day...so, after we saw the identical roller-embedded-in-the-cylinder trick performed by different versions at different ages/mileage, but under the same conditions, we noticed another commonality: in these cases the rod/pin/piston area was gummy at best...no matter what pre-mix ratio was being used, at the time of the meltdown, there was not a bit of fresh lube getting to the underside of the piston.

short of re-designing the crank & case, we never figured out a fail-safe fix for this...it was either goin' to happen, or not.

Last edited:
thanks augi....ordered a cylinder kit from Spookytooth a few minutes ago...will try again...part of a wrist pin clip was also missing...lots of oil in crank and in both needle bearings.. they look and feel perfect....thanks for the info...
p.s. the upside is, i'm ending up with alot extra parts..lol..:)
and Spookytooth is an excellant company to deal with....Phat(it's actually Fatman..but my girlfriend thinks Phat sounds and looks better..5'8" and 230lbs lol)...was doing 32 uphill with 28" tires and a 44tooth sprocket ...theses things are alot of worry but really fun..

Back