Shift Kit User Question

ninjaplatypus42

Local time
10:28 PM
I have a shift kit installed and got a pull start for ease of use. Just finished building the bike and i can barely turn the engine over once using the pedals. Should it be this hard? I have to put so much force on it i feel like im going to break something. Basically jumping on the pedal. I have a pull start so i don't really need to kick start it but I'm having trouble starting it for the first time so i don't know if there's an issue that would keep it from being able to turn over using the pedals that would also keep it from starting. Thanks for any help.

one would need a leg like an elephant to pedal one of these with clutch engaged

Try getting moving first, your pedals will try to push the bike and start the motor at the same time, get moving just fast enough that when you pedal it's not actually driving you forward, then the force should be in the motor alone.

If you have chains that are ridiculously tight then it will also be hard to start.

I have a jackshaft and it takes very little effort unless it's freezing outside and the motor is simply hard to get running because of it.

I'm going 10ish mph and then shift to first gear but it's still incredibly hard to turn. Chains all have about a quarter inch of play. What side do you have the larger jackshaft gear on? Maybe i put them on the wrong side, i have the bigger on on the left/engine sprocket side.

Well there's a good place to start, the vertical chain (large gear) is outside, furthest from the motor, but that doesn't explain why it's not turning, it shouldn't matter unless you are making the chains grab as far as starting goes..

A quarter inch like only one side and it's hard to get the flex? It should feel similar to a guitar string, flexible but tensioned well. If you are able to pedal the bike rather easily without grinding or odd sounds with the clutch pulled in then the chain slack should be OK.

Pull the spark plug out, and leave the clutch engaged to the wheel, roll the whole bike backwards 10 feet. If it won't roll then it's jammed somewhere, if it rolls but feels like it hit a wall then it's also jammed...

Try lifting the rear wheel and pedal the pedals forward without the plug in the head as well. If you have a leaky carb and your bottom end filled with gas it will become very hard to pedal untill it's cleared.

Keep us updated, I recommend swapping the chain rings out so the larger is on the outside. Apparently the further out the chain the less twist force the kit has to fight. I would also assume side loading the chain become more of a problem if the wheel chain is too far out (unless it's a single speed or internal gear hub, in which case it might not matter too much, but still getting the best alignment possible will give you the longest life from the gear and chain work.

Yeah all the chains are the proper tension. With the spark plug out i can pedal it and turn the engine over. It's hard but doable, what i expected it would be like with the plug in. Not sure what else to check. Also the large chain ring is on the outside which is chained to the small ring on the jackshaft. I can get about a sixth of a turn of the pedal with the plug in which turns the engine over maybe twice.

Glad you got it up and running. For sure a new motor is harder to turn over and will get easier once broken in. As you described it sounds like you have your chainrings swapped. The jackshaft should drive the outer chainring and it should be the larger one. The inner chainring should be the smaller one and drive the rear wheel. Hope that helps. I always recommend reviewing the instruction manual. Sometimes we miss things.

Back