Small Bevel gear won't fit on crankshaft

Local time
9:41 PM
So I recently installed a new crank and bearings in my engine (converting it from a short rod to a long rod), and the small bevel gear which was removed will not go onto the shaft.

The taper on the crank seems to be just large enough to cause an issue. I am considering heating the gear up to allow it to slip on easier, but I would appreciate any input before I attempt this.

heating an id doesn't always accomplish the desired result. it could shrink the id a few thous bcs the material expands in all directions.
alternative would be to freeze the crank, but you'd only get .002" at most, probably less than .001.
if you can spin the crank and sand it you'd take off some and keep test fitting the gear often

So I recently installed a new crank and bearings in my engine (converting it from a short rod to a long rod), and the small bevel gear which was removed will not go onto the shaft.

The taper on the crank seems to be just large enough to cause an issue. I am considering heating the gear up to allow it to slip on easier, but I would appreciate any input before I attempt this.
Get the right small bevel gear that fits.
They are not all the same.

Back