Stihl Ms660 56mm Project (Zeda Frankenstein) Now 54mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stock or paperboard gasket with 2 stroke oil.

Permatex has a sealant for cases. Never used yamabond.

Stock or paperboard gasket with 2 stroke oil.

Permatex has a sealant for cases. Never used yamabond.

Yamabond is about the same, it’s just what I typically use.

I ended up using JB Weld in the transfers and aluminum bolts red loctited in for the old bolt holes, I messed up when drilling it out with my drill press and didn’t check well English to see if everything was level so I have some crooked bolt holes, so I’m probably going to order a new crank case and try again.

Attachments

• 6756EBEF-6598-46F1-AD3B-E6F07917D259.jpeg
    6756EBEF-6598-46F1-AD3B-E6F07917D259.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 430
Bushings on small ends in 2 cycles = bad lubrication of the bushing and premature wear. And you're back to running 16:1 fuel oil mix.

you gotta ream bushings to size. drilling isnt accurate.

ffs. you have to make sure things are square. you just screwed the simple step of drilling new stud holes! stop for a minute, breath deeply, say "ommm" then ENGAGE THE BRAIN. and it sounds like you did it to all of them. not one. four. ffs!

if the rod isnt square it will run for about five minutes then kaboom. waste of time by rushing on that part as well.
your main issue here is the bush will be 0.5 wall thickness... cant press it in, and it will be too thin and promptly fail.

those low temp rods are 98% zinc. 98% of carbs are made from zinc. so are nitto airline fittings. lots of things. it may be soft but it can take SOME load. just drill and tap the studs deeper and drill the holes undersize for a 90-95% thread depth rather than the standard tapping size drill.at least it would be homogenous if anything. jb welds just clinging there, and if you didnt thoroughly prep the case with acetone and sandblasting... its not going to cling there for long.
again. take a breath and ENGAGE BRAIN.

no. you cant drill a rod. its case hardened. if you did manage to drill it, you remove the hardened skin as well. and by square... i mean dead square. not close, not "good enough". 90 degrees. not 89 degrees,59 minutes and 99.8seconds... so i hope you have a milling machine with tight gibs and can make a decent jig to keep the rod square whilst you simply ream the bush, let alone try drilling the rod. doesnt sound like it. sorry. a hand drill is not suitable. neither is a dremel.

have you considered something different? like looking into rods from alternate engines? press the crank and replace the rod instead of creating more points to fail. have you looked at kx80 parts? yz 125s? anything?

sorry, but the way this thread is going i felt you needed a bit of a cold shower so you stop making silly mistakes...

Last edited:
you gotta ream bushings to size. drilling isnt accurate.

ffs. you have to make sure things are square. you just screwed the simple step of drilling new stud holes! stop for a minute, breath deeply, say "ommm" then ENGAGE THE BRAIN. and it sounds like you did it to all of them. not one. four. ffs!

if the rod isnt square it will run for about five minutes then kaboom. waste of time by rushing on that part as well.
your main issue here is the bush will be 0.5 wall thickness... cant press it in, and it will be too thin and promptly fail.

those low temp rods are 98% zinc. 98% of carbs are made from zinc. so are nitto airline fittings. lots of things. it may be soft but it can take SOME load. just drill and tap the studs deeper and drill the holes undersize for a 90-95% thread depth rather than the standard tapping size drill.at least it would be homogenous if anything. jb welds just clinging there, and if you didnt thoroughly prep the case with acetone and sandblasting... its not going to cling there for long.
again. take a breath and ENGAGE BRAIN.

no. you cant drill a rod. its case hardened. if you did manage to drill it, you remove the hardened skin as well. and by square... i mean dead square. not close, not "good enough". 90 degrees. not 89 degrees,59 minutes and 99.8seconds... so i hope you have a milling machine with tight gibs and can make a decent jig to keep the rod square whilst you simply ream the bush, let alone try drilling the rod. doesnt sound like it. sorry. a hand drill is not suitable. neither is a dremel.

have you considered something different? like looking into rods from alternate engines? press the crank and replace the rod instead of creating more points to fail. have you looked at kx80 parts? yz 125s? anything?

sorry, but the way this thread is going i felt you needed a bit of a cold shower so you stop making silly mistakes...
I brought the bushing into my work(precision medical bit machine shop) and had it reamed to 12mm, which leaves it at 2mm wall thickness, .5eh? I’ve seen a few forums with bushings on small ends of 2 strokes and people have said it’s worked fine, so I hope it does. I ordered a new case for $20 and redid everything and put a new vise on my drill press, holes came out great. Only thing is that I switch to a 54mm setup because the crankcase screws didn’t really have enough of a gap to fit the 56mm. I had to take like 12mm off the bottom of the cylinder for proper squish, I used a belt sander then went through and checked the depths and made sure they were all the same from bottom of cylinder to top and threw it on and everything spun over fine. So I just got the engine finished except for the exhaust which I will hopefully have done this weekend (yz85 pro circuit). Still a little messy with three-bond because I didn’t taper the end of the bore so rings were a absolute pain to get in.

Attachments

• 76E2CDDF-114A-436D-BCDD-F5C00CB7683F.jpeg
    76E2CDDF-114A-436D-BCDD-F5C00CB7683F.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 419
  • 05AD728C-9EF0-404F-B5DE-0BFCBF088F1C.jpeg
    05AD728C-9EF0-404F-B5DE-0BFCBF088F1C.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 428
I would if had the cylinder milled at my work but i hear it’s bad to mill chrome plated stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back