U-bolt damaged frame

INTP_ty

Local time
1:10 PM
These kits are a can of worms. With all the different radius’ (jesus’ Socrates’) on these bikes, the bottom engine mount never ends up working out.

I tried using one of those U-bolts & I ended up creasing my 50’s Monarch. Damn! Should I take it to a welder & have him fab a new tube in there? I can’t see any visible hairline cracks but I’m gonna lose sleep over it tonight.

The best that I can do is weld an engine mount in the front. You can’t do both front & rear or else you’d have to put the studs in AFTER you’ve set the engine in -Youd never get it in there otherwise. The back engine mount looks like an awkward deer or some kind of giraffe.

Forget about the crease?

*damn thing still vibrates when it was that tight lol have Zeda balance the crank before you make purchase

Attachments

• 95ABFA93-3520-4D3E-88C7-696D4850D21B.jpeg
    95ABFA93-3520-4D3E-88C7-696D4850D21B.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 123
These kits are a can of worms. With all the different radius’ (jesus’ Socrates’) on these bikes, the bottom engine mount never ends up working out.

I tried using one of those U-bolts & I ended up creasing my 50’s Monarch. Damn! Should I take it to a welder & have him fab a new tube in there? I can’t see any visible hairline cracks but I’m gonna lose sleep over it tonight.

The best that I can do is weld an engine mount in the front. You can’t do both front & rear or else you’d have to put the studs in AFTER you’ve set the engine in -Youd never get it in there otherwise. The back engine mount looks like an awkward deer or some kind of giraffe.

Forget about the crease?

*damn thing still vibrates when it was that tight lol have Zeda balance the crank before you make purchase
Look INTP_Y. I will say dont lose sleep over it (1). B/c if u do, you will screw something up tommorow. From the picture i cant see the cracked tube. But i will suggest that steel doesnt undergro brittle failure which means its a lil safer as it wont fail right away and u will notice it beforehand. I think you should get a welder. I got one for 100 dollars, DC 120v/240v works good for the price but not for much more(was 200 but discounted). Took about a week for the learning curve. You should definetly learn. Then you could just weld a custom mounting bracket for your engine and not worry about crappy bolts. lol just think of this as an oppurniuty to learn welding.

These kits are made for steel frames i been having good luck on my motors and havent had too much vibration sometimes it could be the exhaust causing the vibrations it does after all turn into a tuning fork

well, about the crease on your tube, i wouldn't worry about it. as unlike aluminum, it will fail gradually.
as for replacing the tube, i wouldn't bother. some old bike didn't even come with a seat tube! just look up elgin twin bar.
if you really have to just buy one and practice. for 99$ you can get a welder that will last a lifetime.

yo mark. hows your welder doing. I just put mine in the freezer for 2 hours as the red OC light/ thermal sensor protector was stuck in the ON position b/c whenever i weld, it cuts off the power. figured the cold would freeze/contract the contacts back together. LOL Hopefully it still works. I do this ritual about once a month :)

yo mark. hows your welder doing. I just put mine in the freezer for 2 hours as the red OC light/ thermal sensor protector was stuck in the ON position b/c whenever i weld, it cuts off the power. figured the cold would freeze/contract the contacts back together. LOL Hopefully it still works. I do this ritual about once a month :)
its pretty good, not one single problem about it.
i have a propane heater that i use in my garage ( not the best, but you cant beat free)

If the mounting kit bends or creases your bike frame. Probably not a steel frame.
If you tighten every nut and bolt. Never had an issue. Wait till you realize later that you're engine chain is rubbing against your chainstay then start worrying. LOL
Its not rocket science.
Only vibrations you should have on your bike is your ass is numb from riding it at high speeds. Or sitting too long at a red light. And shocks aren't equipped. Lol
I recommend taking the baffle off your muffler if you want to increase speed and acceleration. And I promise you won't have any more problems with vehicles running into you because they now hear you before they see you.

I think nearly every one of these kits comes with a manual that says in the first few paragraphs "This engine is intended to be used with V framed bicycles...."

But does anyone read that and follow suit?

Ha ha... when was the last time you saw any man read any operation manual before actually attempting to assemble anything. Lol we only use that stupid pamphlet for if we can't figure it out on our own first. LOL

Back