valve seats?

Local time
11:20 AM
I just bought a n 5 cyl, should I pein the valve seat before installing, I think i have the pressed seats? should I spray the head gasket with spray copper coat?

I just bought a n 5 cyl, should I pein the valve seat before installing, I think i have the pressed seats? should I spray the head gasket with spray copper coat?

I wouldn't pein the valve seats IMO moving metal on freshly pressed in valve seats is not a good Idea

You can spray the head gasket with copper coat if you want but it's just gonna make future cleanup a PITA

BTW this is the second Thread I've seen about this new NE-5 cyl
Just make one Thread about the work your doing with your WC-1 so you don't have mutable threads about the same subject going on at the same time, It'll get confusing

not enough info.... please repost. You have an NE5 Whizzer? If so please clarify... as Wrench posted... multiple threads on same bike or engine is confusing. Thanksl

In my last life I worked for a period of time in an automotive machine shop and rebuilt many cylinder heads. There is no need to peen around the seat if they have been pressed in with the correct clearances. Peening is a band aid. Was initially used on aluminum heads with steel seats where the expansion coefficient is much different. With overhead valves the seat could possibly fall out (downward). On a flat head would the seat fall out upward? See what I mean.

Heat was the enemy of the WC-1 cylinder, it had short cooling fins, Thus overheating and the valve seats can come loose

The NE-5 cylinder has larger cooling fins than the WC-1 cylinder did Thus making the NE-5 cylinder run cooler
Just try to not ride your bike when it's over 100*f outside

2004 - 2006 NE-5 cylinders valve seats were cast in place making them the most sought after and rare

Yep aluminum and steel expand at different rates

On a Whizzer cyl If the valve seat did come loose it's not going anywhere ,
With thermal expansion the compression gasses will leak past the OD of the valve seat
After the engine cools down the valve seat will be tight again The engine will start and respond normal until the engine warms up again, The valve seat comes loose with thermal expansion, then the process repeats itself

In the email notification Wrench replied with the above statement. When I clicked on VIEW THIS THREAD it failed to pull it up. I looked, but could not find it anywhere which only confirms the fact to only create one thread for the same subject. So back to Wrench..............

Do I understand your statement that as these engines heat up the block casting explands allowing a gap to open around the outside edge of the valve seat? If I am correct, then the diameter of the cylinder is becoming larger faster because of it's greater circumferance. Let's not go there. Just something to consider. If the valve seat pocket is expanding so is the valve seat itself. If a gap truely occurs, and I'm not saying it is an impossibility, then the press in clearances were too loose. There were special applications where I placed valve seats on dry ice to really shrink them down before insertion. This greatly increased the pressure securing them in place. Bottom line...........if the machining tolorences are correct, this will not happen.

Heat is a killer. The wc-1's valve seats were pressed in at 320 degrees. Motors temperature runs like 450 to 500 degrees, real Hot. Thermal barrier is my answer, I control the heat.
Ray
20181123_131826.jpg
20180821_152747.jpg
20180521_153800.jpg
20180821_152823.jpg
20181123_133210.jpg

Back