Very Expensive Learning Experience

You saved the engine and killed every mosquito in the neighborhood?
Sounds like things haven't worked out too badly at all. Glad to hear it.

This is almost "water under the bridge" but I've always had the impression that if you tilt a four-stroke too much, then the oil pump is sucking air. I suppose the small engines might not even have a true pump, but they'll have some method of getting the oil up to the top. Modern weed-eater four strokes apparently have some method of counter-acting this. So it might not be a big concern in the future. But anyone who considers mounting in an unconventional way should heed Dax's advice to be absolutely sure of what you have.

The little Hondas use an agitator type thing to churn the oil into a mist which is drawn to vital areas through a series of openings. That doesn't apply to the gx50 however. I'm not sure about the RS engines.

I have the Subaru Robin EH025/EH035 engine manual in my hand. The Robin has an oiling mist system using fluctuations in crankcase pressure caused by the pistons up and down motion. The oil is housed in a separate tank adjacent to the crankcase connected through a tube and valve.The engine can be safely mounted 90 degrees from vertical to over on the carburetor side and 90 degrees from vertical to over on the muffler side. It cannot be operated more than 90 degrees from vertical or in any position where the crankshaft is other than horizontal. In other words you can tilt it over onto the air cleaner side or onto the muffler side, but never tilt it where the crank PTO or recoil starter is up or down, and never run it anywhere near upside down.

Ok, this last weekend I learned a very expensive lesson on what NOT to do with a 4 stroke engine. At least not with the robin/subaru. I got a gebe kit and while attempting to mount the RS it was discovered that a buldge in the side of the gastank would not allow the proper mounting. So, putting our heads together we came up with a decision to lay the motor on it's side with the gas tank opening up on the top, and the oil plug/guage on the bottom. Well after everything was installed and prepped, I took it outside and cranked it up. To make a long story short, after about 15/20 seconds I had an engine seizure. We were under the impression that it would be alright to run the engine in that position. WOW were we ever wrong. After doing some research, after the fact, it was learned that a 4 stroke MUST be operated mostly in the upright position. So, a word of advice to the wise. Don't operate your 4 stroke in any position except mostly upright.

I got a fantastic deal from Golden Eagle after my bad luck. Since I had already ordered the engineless kit from them for my RS, they let me have a Tanaka 32cc Purefire for the difference in the kit, rather then charging me full price. Now THAT my friends is what you really call CUSTOMER SERVICE. And they never do expedite shipping but when hearing of my plight they happily made an exception to accomodate my absolute stupidity. I have never run into customer service that brought a smile to my face.

The Honda GX 22,25,31,35 are the only four strokes on the market with normal induction that can operate 360 degrees.

Ok, a million thanks goes out to Dax. You were absolutely correct. Pulled plug and dumped out the oil. Had to pull it a couple of times to get it all out, but eventually she fired up. Killed every mosquito in the neighborhood though, but that was to be expected. Again, thanks for the tip.

OKAY--shouldnt you now send GEEBE more money when you can after all they need to stay in business !

Ok, this last weekend I learned a very expensive lesson on what NOT to do with a 4 stroke engine. At least not with the robin/subaru. I got a gebe kit and while attempting to mount the RS it was discovered that a buldge in the side of the gastank would not allow the proper mounting. So, putting our heads together we came up with a decision to lay the motor on it's side with the gas tank opening up on the top, and the oil plug/guage on the bottom. Well after everything was installed and prepped, I took it outside and cranked it up. To make a long story short, after about 15/20 seconds I had an engine seizure. We were under the impression that it would be alright to run the engine in that position. WOW were we ever wrong. After doing some research, after the fact, it was learned that a 4 stroke MUST be operated mostly in the upright position. So, a word of advice to the wise. Don't operate your 4 stroke in any position except mostly upright.

I got a fantastic deal from Golden Eagle after my bad luck. Since I had already ordered the engineless kit from them for my RS, they let me have a Tanaka 32cc Purefire for the difference in the kit, rather then charging me full price. Now THAT my friends is what you really call CUSTOMER SERVICE. And they never do expedite shipping but when hearing of my plight they happily made an exception to accomodate my absolute stupidity. I have never run into customer service that brought a smile to my face.

thats wierd... I rode my eho35 for about 10-15 min with absolutely no oil. I did it a couple of times before I realized it didn't come with oil in it from the factory (talk about stupid). I immediately put the reccomended amount and weight of oil in it when I realized what had happened. I have probably around 500 miles on the engine now, no problems at all. Guess I got lucky.

The fact the engine didnt seize is testiment to how well they are built.

Lucky indeed, they oil all the parts before assembling the engine at the factory but is not nearly enough.

Back