Vintage bike with 16" wheels- Will it work with a HT?

I said I would post some pics. This is what I'm dealing with. How do you embed the imagine in the body of the post BTW?

That little round dot of welding material (I have no idea what it is or what it's called) looks like the only thing that was holding it on, I'm no expert but I'm guessing that was a **** job?

Should I mod the pipe while its all apart? Maybe take out the Cat? I'll probably go with an expansion chamber after a while (new build) so maybe I won't mess with it.

So there's no way to get some stuff at Harbor freight to at least equal the s.h.i.t.e. original job? Maybe I'll take it in to the welding department at the college and ask if someone can fix it, It should only take them a couple min right?

Attachments

• P1010720.jpg
    P1010720.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 224
  • P1010719.jpg
    P1010719.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 211
  • P1010718.jpg
    P1010718.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 196
wow, you have a newer pipe than i have.
my stock mufflers are the old style that are held together with 3 screws.
the screws hold the end caps to the muffler body, and the baffle is welded to the back end cap on the inside.
I have no idea how you shoudl go about fixing that, but i think yu may be better off just buying a whole new pipe/muffler.

its got a cat!?!? ummmm...america, i assume? *could scroll down n see what your pro says but is too lazy :p *

ok, i got carried away with my last post. i meant to say "nice bike psycho..."

anyways...why am i here? oh! i followed my advice this morning about checking for cracks! scary.. 09032011305.jpg

yep, ooooold frame... speedwell fury that had the early shimano disc brake :) then stick an engine on it and rev it at 10 grand... (yes, at 60kmh its doing 9800... wrong page...its a fourbanger...)

goes to show what vibration does. combined with rusty old frames :p

never welded up this end!

check all frames regularly !!!!

(even if it ISNT a rustbucket!)

Last edited:
Haha..no cat, I meant the palladium cartridge (at least I think that's what it is). That copper colored part where it broke off? I'm still learning about all things engines ;). I got thinking it was a cat because of this description of their pipe at piratecycles:

"These are direct replacement mufflers for the standard 66/80cc motor kits. The muffler uses a No Cat high flow design for added power." http://www.piratecycles1.com/hiflgen5pi.html

I have no idea what a cat looks like, but assumed that cartridge part to be one. Apparently it's not...

if the "cartridge" that you are referring to has honeycomb shaped holes in it, then it's acting as a cat. converter.
I removed these cartridges from both of my mufflers, and it made a big improvement. I think that these cartridges tend to get clogged up with un-burned oil over time, but that's just my opinion.
so all that's in my mufflers now (on both bikes) is modified stock baffles.

Here's what my last pipe and muffler looked like when i cut it all apart and modified the baffle.
stock pipe and poo-poo pipe cut apart ready to be all welded back together. on the poo-poo pipe, I had to make the peice of pipe with the flange on it longer, so i cut the pipe with the flange on it off of the stock muffler, and weled it to the poo-poo pipe. this gave me an extra 3 inches where the pipe exits the motor and bends down (see the pic of the completed pipe on the bike)
bbbbbbb.jpg

stock baffle
bbbbbbbb.jpg

modified stock baffle..2 small holes drilled in the baffle plate)
bbbbbbbbb.jpg

here's the completed pipe and muffler bolted to the engine and on the bike. notice that the end of the baffle is not visible. I stuffed the baffle up inside the muffler body to hide it, and i cut the muffler body end at a nice angle. at first gloance, it looks like just a big straight-pipe. The baffle is held in place with 2 rivits hidden on the back side and bottom of the muffler body. I put a series of 3 chrome steel rings over the pipe where it's welded together. this hides the weld and the burned off chrome from the wedling process. it also makes the pipe appear to have a small flex joint or ripple effect that was commonly found on lake-pipes on custom cars in the 50's.
3 chrome rings covering the weld.
cc.jpg

hidden baffle.
ccc.jpg

chop2.jpg

Last edited:
yep. palladium means its a cat.

platinum, palladium, rhodium... all platinides, all used in catalytic converters (in IC engine exhausts that is) and all destroyed by the use of leaded fuels...

i specify exahaust system as things such as ammonia are produced in a catalytic converter as well. just that this particular one uses iron wool as the catalyst.

and silver is used as the catalyst for hydrogen peroxide, for splitting of the extra oxygen atom...

and, last, but not least...the hole in the ozone layer is caused by chlorine, true. its a catalyst that breaks ozone, o3, down into oxygen,o2, and a free oxygen atom...

oh, how i wish i could find a genuine shwinn over here for under 1500... :( or even a cheap copy... bmx type frames are killers on the long rides...

Back