would this bike work? - motor mount - pics

The triangle is composed of the top tube, seat tube, and down tube (head tube and bottom bracket shell will be in there too).
I think it'll fit. The front mount may not sit down on that down tube though, so you'll have to get creative. This is how we overcame that problem: http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=288

74_December_014_1.jpg

That required drilling though, which really isn't recommeded, especially on an aluminum frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
so this frame would not work if dont want to drill the frame. do you know of any other bicycles with an aluminum frame in this price range that would work.

also is there a lot of weight difference between the aluminum frame and the steel frame bikes.

It could still work if you don't want to drill, but you'd have to be creative (and very safe) in that mounting endevour. There isn't going to be a huge difference between steel and aluminum in this scenario.
I don't know of any other bikes off hand.

one of my bikes is aluminum and my other one is steel, the only trouble ive had with the aluminum frame is a crack in the chain seat that i had rewelded. both bikes have there goods and bads tho. it just depends on how u look at it.

i prefer coaster breaks on both of my bikes just because they stop better in an emergency and are easy to fix or swap out an axle if you know what your doing. i dont have a problem with hand breaks tho. they work almost as good.

as an experienced motor-cyclist i've learned to never exceed the capabilites of your ride.

firstly, i keep my lever-brakes finely tuned...secondly, i like that the brake's limitations keep me safely responsible. that's just my input 'bout that 8)

Here is my creative way to mount an engine on a cruiser frame, no drilling needed. It entails an 8" length of 1" wide flat stock with short length of 1" black pipe cut in half and welded to one end. With the engine mounted on the seat tube fit the mount in place and bend it to match the correct angle. It is attached to the frame with muffler clamps...Kelly

41_bike22kk_1.jpg

41_mountfq3_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My front mount

Heres pics of the front mount I welded together.
I made three flat plates, one to bolt to the engine, two to bend in half circles to go around the tube. Then I cut a piece of square tubing to fill in the space between the engine and the tube. I ground one end of the square tube to fit the curve of the mounting plate, and also fit the angle between the engine and the tube. I then welded it all together.

I wanted to run the chain without an idler pulley, so I cut the chain to size, bolted up the engine by the back mount, and played around with the height of the motor on the seat tube, and spacers on the rear mount until the chain was at the proper tightness. The spacer was simply a 1" x 2.5" plate (1/8" thick) with two holes drilled in it. It fits between the engine and the half circle shaped mount casting that came with the engine.

Anyway, once I have the engine in the right place, I bolted it tight and then I could get measurements for the front mount pieces.

It works fine, I get really very little vibration. But all that being said, if I had seen Tirebiters and Rustys mounts first, I may have made something more like a variation on the two. They sure look clean....

Attachments

• Bike mods 030.jpg
    Bike mods 030.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 273
  • Bike mods 032.jpg
    Bike mods 032.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 286
Back