Fuel Mixture 16 to 1 mixture at gas station?

Discussion in '2-Stroke Engines' started by bikes4ever, Jun 28, 2016.

1. bikes4ever

bikes4ever New Member

For me its more convenient to mix my oil right in my 2.5 L gas tank right at the gas station, since I go across town and who knows where...

My question is for a 16 to 1 how much oil would I need to pour in my 2.5L gas tank? Any thoughts or ideas?

2. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

If you bike is already broken in then 16:1 is way too much oil for it. I would go 24-30:1 and 24 if you are paranoid. There are 0.66 gallons in a 2.5L tank. What I like to do is buy one of those really small oil containers or get an oil resistant 4-6 oz container to bring with me and buy a big container of oil at home for refills. It is not economical to keep buying small containers of oil. 4-6 oz should be what you need for that tank. i would go closer to 4. also get the small containers of oil that has a strip at the side so you can get you exact oz if you want. they are available at walmart for like less than $2.
  3. bikes4ever

bikes4ever New Member

Yeah its already broken in, bought it used and the guy said he had it for a few years. Ok so I need to pour in 4 to 6 oz's for my tank correct?
  4. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

there are a 128 oz to a gallon. your tank has 0.66 gallons. at 30:1, this is 4.25 oz. at 24:1, this is 5.33 oz. I would go between 4 and 5. if you rev your engine to hell, then closer to 5.
  5. bakaneko

bakaneko Active Member

sorry im an idiot. its 2.8oz at 30:1 and 3.52 at 24:1 for a 2.5L tank. i told u the numbers for 1 gallon. so, i would go a little under 3 to mid 3s for high revving.
  6. libranskeptic

libranskeptic Member

The answer to the question u should have asked is:)

have oil decanted into a small container u keep on bike

figure exactly (electric scales?) but remember by eye, how much of a container lidful (allow some for some sticking to the lid) of oil you tip in with an easily measured half a gallon from the pump (u tank is .66 gal i am told, so half a gallon should mostly suit).

If u go over or under .5 gal, its only guessing a little- add 30% oil for a complete fill e.g..

i used to just keep a pop bottle of premix fuel from home in the bikes drink holder. Always got me home to my fuel drum.
  7. KCvale

KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

It's damn tricky to add oil at the pump, I don't do it myself, I keep a big can of gas/oil mix @32:1, 1/2 a cup per gallon.
    But if you need more than a 2/3 tank of gas for your rounds I suggest a bigger tank.

They are not friendly to fit on most bikes, but a Wizzer tank holds over a gallon and not to unruly on the top bar.

Or you could add a second tank...

The point is to use your home base 32:1 fuel supply, and carry enough for your travels.
    You don't know whats in the tank and screwing up the mix is never friendly.

Or switch to 4-stroke, no mixing required ;-}