4-stroke running in

Hi Irish John,

The motor never had a sticker which leaves the owner a little creativity in naming the motor (Honda, Titan) or what I finally did. The question about the aluminium block threw me at first. This kit has no aluminium for the motor mounting plate or bracket. I'm assuming that's what your talking about. This mounting kit is all steel with bolts going through from the back. If you want to beef up the bolts with better stuff or even go to a larger size, it's no problem. I added some pix which I hope answers your question.

This mounting plate has aluminum blocks in both ends and is adjustable.

Attachments

• vframe-engine-mount-kit.jpg
    vframe-engine-mount-kit.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 204
Mounting plate

This is the "cheap" kit which does not offer as much flexibility in mounting the engine on the frame as the aluminum block model. Take a close look at the picture.... No aluminum anything. It fits my frame perfectly and appears to be very strong. The brackets and the mounting plate are steel.

Cruiser 66 that tray looks really rough. The welding looks bad and there are no slide slots for positioning the engine. I don't mean to be rude but the tray I'm talking about slides in and out to fit different sized frames. It is pretty bad construction too. Who makes your kit?

Magnetised Oil Sump

Great thread,
has anyone considered a magnetised sump plug ?
I know some cars have them and the metal that gets on the magnet through the entire life of the engine is a fair amount.
I've taken sumps off engines with no magent and one's with magnets, those who have done these types of jobs before, it goes without saying what the differance is.

I see one big drawback with a magnet in the sump and that is that the metal particles that are to be collected are alloy and not attracted by magnetism. Am I right or am I wrong?

I see one big drawback with a magnet in the sump and that is that the metal particles that are to be collected are alloy and not attracted by magnetism. Am I right or am I wrong?
Most of the parts inside the engine:
Camshaft assembly
Pushrods
Rocker & rocker arm pivot
Intake/exhaust valves
Governor assembly
Crankshaft assembly
Lifter valve & valve springs,etc etc are all made from steel and need to be lubrcated,so inevitabely you'll get fine metal particles floating around in oil.
I've ordered a 3mm X 10mm rare-earth magnet that stands temps to 160C(most rare earths stand to 80C)
I'll drill the drainplug and have the head of the magnet sticking out approx 2mm.
Personal decision,i dislike the idea of unwanted metal floating around....can't do much about the aluminium(other than regular oil changes) but i sure as heck can do something about the steel.

Absolutely correct, not all the parts inside a 4-stroke are entirely alloy.

I've ordered a 3mm X 10mm rare-earth magnet that stands temps to 160C(most rare earths stand to 80C)
I'll drill the drainplug and have the head of the magnet sticking out approx 2mm.
Personal decision,i dislike the idea of unwanted metal floating around....can't do much about the aluminium(other than regular oil changes) but i sure as heck can do something about the steel.
This sounds like a Strerling Idea Fetor. Can you tell me where I could get an earth magnet exactly like yours and when you have installed it would you post a close up picture of it showing how it fits in the drain plug. I'm imagining it is a very thin cylindrical shape that you stuff into the drilled hole so tightly it plugs it by itself. Is it soft like lead? I'm presuming you drill a small hole through the drain plug stopper and that is where it goes. So you can still drain the plug by unscrewing the stopper. Incidentally my 4-stroke is almost finished and it looks rather good. All I need to do is find a way to move the on/off switch off the front of the motor and have a really good one on the handlebars and then work out how I use those kill switch wires that are on the throttle assembly. The dual brake levers are total Chinese junk and the whole throttle assembly is junk as well. I might chuck them out and use a good throttle that came with the early Starfire HT kits. I still haven't succeeded in eliminating all things Chinese from my bike but that is my ultimate goal. I get depressed just knowing that I still have chinese junk attached to my bike.

I will do the same once I get a 4-stroke. I always wanted to get one of the pre-made magnetized oil-pan bolts for my car, but I could never find one. I sure never thought about making my own.

Back