Engine Trouble 80cc ht won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link. You make it sound like close may be good enough when it comes to replacing that spring? Am I understanding you right? If so then I'll begin a local search for a "close enough" spring.

"bicycle-engines.com" wants almost $14 to ship the 89 cent part. And they don't have anything else that I am needing. So if I can't find a spring I'll pay the bucks and move on.

Again, Thanks for the link and an answer to my problems.

I'll also be looking for another supplier that has a bigger invertory of parts I may need. Do you know of a site that has exploded views of the engine/clutch and perhaps gives part numbers?

In fact you dont even really NEED the spring. All it does is keep it from rattling against the clutch pads when you have it disengaged. A friend of mine got an engine that was missing the spring and has been running it for almost two years, No problemo. It might keep the clutch rattle noise down, but wont keep anything from working. SO, what I'm saying is that if you still have a problem, it's not the spring causing it. GOD, I wish I were there to take a quick look at it. I'm sure it's gonna turn out to be something simple.
Wally posted this a while back. Hope it helps.
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?36706-Exploded-view

P.S. Try to tighten the clutch some more first. (1) Remove clutch cover. (2) Pull in the clutch handle to loosen the clutch plate. (3) remove small flower nut lock screw. (4) Turn IN flower nut 2 or 3 turns, (at least.) (5) Replace small screw and test the clutch. This should make REAL sure the clutch is tight enough. It may be TOO tight, but this way you will be able to make sure the clutch is turning over the engine. You will also have to readjust the clutch cable after this. If this works then we will talk about adjusting the clutch properly.

Last edited:
Did a quick search for that spring. I guess no one think's it's important enough to carry it in stock. (I can't find one anyway.) I have a couple used ones in my shop as a last resort for you. But like I said, It's NOT gonna keep it from starting.
Big Red.

Do you know of a site that has exploded views of the engine/clutch and perhaps gives part numbers?

If you look at the top of the page with the spring, you'll see it is one link past the link for 'clutch assembly' - click that link and see the exploded diagram that the spring is 'part #3' of - other links there for engine

It's all good that everyone is trying to help him find a clutch spring, BUT PLEASE, Don't lead him to believe that this will solve his problem. That particular spring is NOT critical to start the engine, It's only to keep the pressure plate from rattling against the clutch base and pads when the clutch is disengaged. The engine will still work well without it. Perhaps with a rattle. but still it WILL run fine without it.
I rebuild two or three of these engines a week. I JUST got through with a bottom up rebuild. New bearings and seals in the bottom end, (Used the old crank, it was still good,) New piston, pin, rod bearing, rings, cylinder, head gasket and spark plug. Did a good cleaning on the carb, (adjusted the clutch,) and fired it up and rode it around the block. So believe me when I say, It's not that darned spring keeping you from starting the engine.
Big Red.

So believe me when I say, It's not that darned spring keeping you from starting the engine.
Big Red.

OK, I believe you. Dang it!!! Thought sure we had it whipped. I'll try the clutch adjusting instructions and see where that leads me.

Thanks.

OK, I believe you. Dang it!!! Thought sure we had it whipped. I'll try the clutch adjusting instructions and see where that leads me.

Thanks.

I usually swear the f'n right way, but I'm trying to keep it f'n toned down some on the f'n site. The kids are f'n reading this too.
With the clutch thing I'm just trying to MAKE SURE the engine is turning over. If it's just dragging and not locking to the engine then it will never start.
Big Red.

Last edited:
Big Red is right and if that don't work take the hammer to it!(just kidding)

Would be much easier if we could be right there in person...you asked where I applied the hammer ,it was on that center pin,just a tap,where that clutch adjusting screw is,had to turn that winged nut so it was in loosened position,released the clutch ...

Last edited:
Hey rider, ain't heard back from ya. Ever get it running? Are ya just too busy riding it to get back to us? (I hope.)
Big Red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back