99 Whizzer Rear Axle Install Questions

RFaust

Local time
1:05 AM
Hello, I purchased a 99 Whizzer which was torn apart for shipping and am now attempting to put back together. I do not have a service manual or anything which would have a breakdown of how things go together, but do have a complete 2005 NE5 which gives me a good idea to how some things should look. But, this real axle into the rear hub has me a bit confused. The first picture shows the layout of it, the second is a close up of the two halves I not sure how to position, do the ridges go towards the inside or towards the outside? Also, the only way it seems to fit into the hub is inserting into the larger opening of the hub, but that is the side the rear belt drive is on?
Better yet, does anyone out there have a drawing breakdown of the complete parts positions?
Thanks is advance. hope these pics post.
Robert Faust
Redwood City, CA

Attachments

• hub 006.jpg
    hub 006.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,442
  • hub 007.jpg
    hub 007.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2,497
The Whizzer coaster brake was based on (but not identical to) the Bendix coaster brake. They should basically go back together the same way. This link to an earlier post has a Bendix brake diagram. Hopefully it will be of help: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showpost.php?p=130708&postcount=9
I also have a Whizzer service manual here. The breakdown is essentially the same as the Bendiz diagram. I'd scan it and post it, but I'm having issues with my scanner right now.

Thanks for the direction to the Bendix brake diagram. It identified the two halves, they are the brake shoes and they are my problem, getting them to fit inside the hub. I'm not sure how to position the shoes, which way should the sides with the lip be facing, away from the rear chain sprocket or towards the other side of the hub (belt side of rear wheel). Been trying every way imaginable and know I'm almost there, just gotta fit these two shoes. Again, thank you for the diagram.
Robert Faust

The Whizzer manual says that the ridge on the underside of the brake shoe rides against the spring plate. The spring plate prongs fit into the left race.
I hope this helps.

I really appreciate the help and am kinda embarrassed to ask but what does left race mean or what is it? The Bendix diagram gives great narratives and details of parts, thats how I learned of those two halves being brake shoes, but this setup is a little different. Sorry about posting in the wrong place. I just posted another posting there but this one just showing a picture of after unboxing everything and putting the parts on a table, not asking any questions, just sharing the pic and mentioning I purchased it from a fellow motorbikes.com person in Florida.
Robert Faust
Robert Faust

In your photo, the left race is the piece that is on the left side of the axle. Thread that in until the tabs on the spring plate fit into the openings on the race.

Done, finally, thanks. Gonna put the wheel on and ride the bike for a few days before putting the engine in.
Thanks again,
Robert Faust

Hi Robert,

Your best choice is to discard the Whizzer coaster brake hub and replace with either a vintage [Bendix, New Departure, Morrow, etc] unit or a new Shimato hub.

The spoke flanges are pressed on and not a solid hub. Because of the constant torque placed on the original hub the flanges will work loose and move to the center [ever ride a wet noodle?]. When the bike is started the hub has a lot of pressure turning over the motor to start, and once started the torque is reversed.

Please take these comments as serious because I had one of the hubs work loose at 40 MPH and was lucky to keep the bike upright.

The alternate hub won't allow the rear brake switch be operational, however you can put an additional switch in the clutch lever to activate the rear brake light.

After replacing the stock hub over 10 times, I concluded it is a waste of time, money and my safety to continue the process.

I currently use a vintage New Departure hub on my 1999 model, and drum rear brake on all the remainder of my new edition Whizzer collection.

Have fun,

I agree with Quenton on his reccomendation to switch to a better coaster brake. I experienced rear hub failure on my Whizzer at only 168 miles. A real Bendix or Morrow would be good, a New Departure will require absolutely perfect adjustment to avoid overheating (been there, done that) and the Shimano is also an excellent choice. I'm presently running the Shimano CB-E110 coaster on my Whizzer as well as my EZ Motorbike. I have a Shimano CB-D110 (earlier model) on yet another motorized bike, and all have performed extremely well. I have the New Departure on a fourth bike.
While you are at it, you may want to look at swapping the original Whizzer wheels out altogether for a set of Worksman wheels. RdKryton and I have both done that, and the difference is significant. The Worksman wheels are the correct width, sized to accept balloon tires (26x2.125 or 24x2.125 depending on the size). The Whizzer rims are optimized for middleweight sized tires (24 or 26x1.75). The ride quality will improve, plus the Worksman rims are extra heavy duty and will withstand more punishment. The spokes on the Worksman wheels are also heavier (11ga instead of the 12ga on Whizzers). Worksman front wheels are available with a drum brake. I don't have any close-up shots of the Worksman wheels on my Whizzer, but here is a shot of the bike so you can see how heavy the spokes are, and how the Worksman wheels look in general.

Attachments

• Bikes 007.jpg
    Bikes 007.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 1,075
Back