About 2 Stroke oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone used lucas semi-senthetic 2 stroke oil...
i am tempted to use this oil, becuase this is the only good 2 stroke oil availabe at local stores??

I don't think there is anything exceptional about Lucas except the price. You can find better locally, IMHO.

Any motorsports store carries quality 2 stroke lubes. I prefer Maxima 927 or Klotz supertechniplate due to the fact that these carry a small amount of degummed castor oil blended with synthetic.

tc-w3 ooutboard oil is meant to run in a much cooler-running engine (all outboards are water-cooled) so, the oil isn't as thick or lubricating as air-cooled engine oil. And if you put that oil in a very hot-running ht engine at the same mixture, and run it for long periods of time, you might have an engine failure.

amen the w-3 is for cooler runing engines.just a side note but i broke a ht in with canadian tire formula 1 premium motorcycle oil for the first 300km,then switched to amsoil.after 1700km i decided to use up the rest of the canadian tire oil,after 1/2quart it started to knock {first at high rpm,then at all rpm}and was getting worse.i switched back to amsoil and most of it is gone,some is still thier.i think my wrist pin bushing is gone.THANK,S C**P TIRE.

Gentlemen the proof of a good oil is in long life of a motor

Thanks everyone for your replies. I mainly wanted to educate myself to see if there is any differance and what it is. If I'm not 100% sure I'll just take it back. Just that it was a synthetic oil and very cheap. I might just keep it for my lawn mower and whipper snipper.
Anyway here is what Valvoline said.
Hi Gilbert,
Was your bicycle store purchased, or home built?
If store purchased, it should have a handbook, describing the oil to use.
If home built, I would presume that you have used a garden type motor, ie whipper snipper etc.
The outboard two stroke can be used in garden design motors, as long as using std unleaded fuel, and maintaining a 25:1 ratio.
regards,
Michael

HI,

FWIW I used to use the 2 stroke oil they sell at Lowes called Pro Mix for all my 2 stroke equipment and HT engines.....then I decided to try the stuff they sell at Wal Mart in the blue gallon Jugs....like yours it says for Outboard motors but this one also mentions and air cooled engines....It seems "thinner" than the Lowes oil and calls for 2 more ounces to be added per gallon of gasoline than the Lowes oil....I haven't had any problems so far BUT I have been putting in just a little more oil "just in case"....I may try running less oil in the future but the oil was so much cheaper than what I was using I figure an extra ounce or 2 per gallon is not all that much...Doesn't seem to smoke or run any hotter than usual....

Andrew

Regular maintenance also is a must.
I posted a thread "china longevity kings". There are several motors with interesting stats!
The proof is in the pudding and I like my pudding!!

For my break in period.

I started with Homlite chainsaw oil. The red stuff with the "perfect pour" squeeze cup measuring of 2.6 ounces resivor. At 16:1 I did not see any smoke out of the exhaust on first 2 five minute rides of half mile each. Then went to 14:1 and got a little vapor trail or "tell tail" that it is running rich. After my first half gallon of fuel I will lean back with 20:1. I have Castrol at the top of my list with the information available in "China longevity kings"!

Last edited:
Using Outboard 2 stroke (semi synthetic) in HT engne..

I'll re-hash this thread.

Did ya try it Fatboy67???

It seams that Valvoline answered fb67, and it was positive.

I (pre post read ) -also emailed them regarding the same.

this is the PDF spill from there site
for 2 stroke outboards
high performance 2 stroke outboard
ValvolineHigh Performance 2 Stroke Outboard is suitable for use in Evinrude, Mercury,
Mariner, Suzuki, Volvo, Yamaha engines requiring 10:1, 25:1, 50:1, 100:1, petrol/oil ratio,
including those outboards with oil injection. ValvolineHigh Performance 2 Stroke
Outboard is recommended for use in high-speed, high-load and high engine temperature
conditions, in both pre-mix and injection systems.

Quote;;{recommended for use in high-speed, high-load and high engine temperature
conditions, in both pre-mix and injection systems.

Sound good to me already !
AND it's on special AGAIN @$23AU for 5 Litres..

Semi synth BARGIN.

I have been using there basic 2stroke oil sinse day 1, and have been happy with that.

Cant be any worse .
Any one tried it as yet??

Attachments

• valvolene 2 stroke OUT BOARD.JPG
    valvolene 2 stroke OUT BOARD.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 208
sounds pretty simple -- Bronzebird and the THING

At 16:1 I did not see any smoke out of the exhaust on first 2 five minute rides of half mile each.

Then 14:1 and got a little vapor trail or "tell tail" that it is running rich.

After my first half gallon of fuel I will lean back with 20:1.
I have Castrol at the top of my list

I have read a lot in this thread
may be a little over kill
but -- when it comes down to oil mix with 2-stroke -- good information...

couldn't help but notice Bronzebird's simple -- straight -- good advice given

one THING that I have noticed here on site at times
many MB riders can not wait for the day
when they can lean down their mixture -- as far as possible
what are they going to get -- extra 2 or 3 mph ?

the thought that I have tried to stick with over many years is to
if not sure of exact required mixture -- mix on the slightly RICH side
yes -- there have been a few times that I ended up a little excessive smoke
but -- have never had an engine seize...

just thinking here -- Bronzebird will probably have a -- long life engine

as we all enjoy our oil and -- ride those THING

Got Quick reply from Jeff of VALVOLINE
Quote from Jeff
{Jase

The outboard oil would be OK for motorcycle use.

Long term, it would provide better wear protection.

Regards

Jeff }

Excellent.
$23 for five litres--
of semi synth.

Jase

B.S,.

there isnt any difference between outboard 2 stroke and other 2 stroke oil. i run valvoline multi purpose 2 cycle oil says its for lawn mowers, chain saws, outboard motors, jet skis, motorcycles and snowblowers

There is a big difference in 2 cycle oil E.G. The blue bottle walmart has or the Marine 2 stroke oils have detergent in them to fight the effects of sal****er & or the affects acidity or low PH. of freshwater as well these detergents "when run in a non salty or acidic environment ..or on land as we do in motorized bicycles" can cause deposits.. these deposits will cause scarring of cylinder walls also... deposits can get hung up inside & around the edges of ports and build up ,when they do this they get RED HOT causing the motor to overheat prematurely. So to sit here and say there is no difference is not a true statement.

.. This doesn't make you a bad person just one not very wise on 2 stroke oils

:love: Just my 2 ¢

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back