All of a sudden hard starting

Strange climate that it is. One day beautiful sun all lush and green, next day fogged in, cold and really damp. Then the heavy wet snow. If you don't like the weather today, just wait until tomorrow. Lol. I'm a few miles further inland than you so probably colder and not quite as wet. Wet being a relative term around here.

I bought the Star Tron in the early spring of this year so I don't have a long history with the stuff but so far impressed. I am going to try this along with a shot of regular fuel stabilizer . I have some Sta-Bil as well as some Sea Foam stabilizer.

I put some of this in, and TBH it did not help at all. Maybe because I used it on gas I already had a few days, and not new fresh gas. I don't have any machine to dispose of old gas with, so I have to use it.

I'm actually thinking about some starter Fluid, because now it almost takes a very long hill, and to get very high revs just to start. The last two times I rode it, I had to go down the biggest hill in town just to start it, then even warm, back down that hill again to restart it. After that it started easily, but now every time it's a huge workout and battle...

20231205_122238.jpg

Maybe because I used it on gas I already had a few days, and not new fresh gas. I don't have any machine to dispose of old gas with, so I have to use it
There's nothing wrong with a few days old gas
If ya don't like what ya mixed for your 2 stroke, just dump it in your car gas tank,
A gallon or two of 2 stroke gas mixed in with all that other gas in your car won't hurt anything

Something else is going on. The usual culprits, no fuel, bad spark, air leaks.
Don't use starting fluid, you may blow the head off it.

Something else is going on. The usual culprits, no fuel, bad spark, air leaks.
Don't use starting fluid, you may blow the head off it.
I know this old logger, he uses starter fluid on everything. He asked to help him with his old snowmobile, the first thing he reaches for is the starter fluid. Nope, not while I'm tuning. I have a dedicated fuel squirter.

I know this old logger, he uses starter fluid on everything. He asked to help him with his old snowmobile, the first thing he reaches for is the starter fluid. Nope, not while I'm tuning. I have a dedicated fuel squirter.
I've used starter fluid before, but I find it unnecessary. As long as it is tuned right with the choke set it sould fire up right away

Did you try adjusting the needle to run richer?
Mine has been harder to start since the weather has turned colder,not to much of a problem though.

My old standby is to warm the cylinder and intake with a propane torch. Carefully without starting it on fire. Suppose a heat gun would be safer.

When it was really cold, to start the chainsaw first pull, pour a cap full of gas down the muffler and light it on fire. Start right up and blow a great blast of fire out the exhaust. An old faller showed me that trick.

Back