Apprehensive First MB Build - Cranbrook

Update Time! In between my classes today I got to sit down and work on my MB.

I ventured out to my local Ace Hardware and found a M6 allthread rod. Talk about a relief, that was the fourth stop to a hardware store to find my motor studs.

I got back to my apartment and started hacking away at the rod to get my motor mounted.

Mounting Successful!

I contacted Duaine at ThatsDax about the gas tank. He said that it is normal to have some amount of rust and debris in the tank.

I expected metal shaving in the tank but not rust.

Out of paranoia I went got the "high performance" in line fuel filter. It does actually look nice, so I can't complain to terribly much for a $9.99 price tag. It also is a system where you can replace a fairly nice filter in it for relatively inexpensive. Each filter is suppose to last around 500 miles.

Anyways I was just about to mount it when I thought, "Does the angle of decline of the fuel filter affect its performance?"

Any takers on this? Yes or No?

I have attached a picture of how I was planning on fastening it down. I was planning on doing it with zip ties so the filter replacement isn't a hassle.

(view picture)

Would that be an acceptable place for the filter?

Thanks again everyone!

I am really seeing a light at the end of the tunnel! (not that I have even fired the thing up yet, but hey its starting to LOOK like it could!)

This whole process would have been much harder without this wonderful community, thank you again. :D

Attachments

• P1000068.jpg
    P1000068.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 213
That seems like a good location. Just be very sure it will not contact the frame directly. Rattling and vibration are not good for a glass cylinder sandwiched in between 2 pieces of chromed pot metal.
Keep a close eye on it too. Those styles are known to leak, some more that others. A lucky few have no leaks at all. I hope you are one of the the lucky few!

That was basically my though of the situation. I actually ended up mounting it on the side mostly vertically. I will get a pic up soon.

Thanks Turtle,

I have been a bit quite as of late, sadly for a bad reason.

I got everything assembled and looking GREAT!

My uncle and I ended up getting the MB fired up and running. What a great feeling! Taking the bike freshly assembled and purring down the street for the first time! Then, bam!!!!

One thing leads to the next, the rear wheel is locked up.

The story is told with the picture attached.

The chain ended up jumping off the back sprocket, bending every bolt on the sprocket, bending my chain, bending my axle and dislodging half of the bearing inside the coaster break assembly.

*sigh*

What we think ended up happening is the idler pulling was not running true enough and made the chain jump off the back sprocket creating the mayhem.

I found another axle at my local bike shop. I plan on going out and getting a new set of 9 bolts for the sprocket. I am still not not completely positive what I will be doing about the coaster bearings.

We now plan to eliminate the need for the idler pulley. It has caused far to many issues for such a minimal use, we are going to shorten the chain and put on a different master link.

Besides that, it was a good weekend... for about 20 min.

Attachments

• 0828091857a.jpg
    0828091857a.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 201
The story told by your picture also tells us that your sprocket is mounted all wrong.

One rubber gasket goes inside the spokes, the other one goes between the sprocket & the spokes.

No rubber on the outside.

when you take this apart, I wouldn't be surprised if you have damaged spokes too.

I can for once say, oops. Could someone post a picture about how the back sprocket is suppose to be correctly mounted? I guess I am completely missing something obvious.

So, the order of things outside to inside should be.... Sprocket, rubber washer, spokes, rubber washer...

The one time spotty Chinese standards where a good things, the bolts where so weak that they took all the abuse, and bent over like butter. Resulting in no damaged spokes, thankfully.

Take a break..spend some time searching this sight before you continue building...Thats what I. did ..about 40 hours...read,think..read, think,do, read,think,do

Hey, we Cranbrook guys need to stick together. My project photos are on my album at the link below. It is a good, solid steel framed bike for the money in my opinion.

Bill

Back