Are We Outlaws ??

KiM, that was my favorite ride and I rode them with pride. My friends never said sh8t and any body who did, didn't count.
I had a 1952 French moped as well but what a piece of uslessness that was. The second time I was almost killed because of it I sold it but by then I was closer to home.

Steve.

The majority of people care what others will think of them...sad really, i gave up worrying what other people thought of me and my actions when i was in my early 20's ...please number one is my motto, **** what anyone else thinks :)

Reminds me of the saying "mopeds are like fat chicks fun to ride till your friends find out"

KiM

Well, I'm with you there. It's obvious I don't give a hoot what people think when I tool around on the Trail Cub!

The moped saying here in the USA is similar "Mopeds are like fat chicks, fun to ride but you don't want to be seen in public with either of them......."

You have some good friends Fasteddy i would give you grief but all in good fun nothing serious LoL you would have trouble getting the moped back if i went for a ride on it! i would ride anything with two wheels and a motor and find some fun in it no matter what it was (when i could ride that is) Fella that used to hang around in my crowd of friends had one when i was 16 he got sooo much **** from people for riding it, looking back at it in later years he had the brains, we had to bus it everywhere to the beach, the city etc, he was there and back before we got there. That guy is now retired (hes 40 and a multi millionaire!! left school when he was 15 did an apprenticeship as a painter in his fathers company before taking it over....they laughed at him, whos laughing now!)

KiM

KiM, jest away my friend. I usually give as good as I get.

Most of my buds of those days are gone. Still hear from the odd one and trust me there were a few odd ducks in that flock.
The first question they all ask is are you still messing with old cars and bikes.

The yard is still full of old iron but it is my brothers and nephews. I just bought an early 1950' bike and I'm getting ready to put a side car on that and restore the whole thing.
Just no more old cars/trucks. Doing my nephews 1946 Chevrolet 2T truck and my brothers 1958 Plymouth wagon and thats it.

Paying the price for an accident 44 years ago.

I know you mentioned a ping/cyclone set up but is that better than a brushless powered wheel of 500W which is the limit here?

That piece of French **** bike just about threw me on the way home one night and after that shorts scaper of a moment I was about 3 blocks from home and the belt broke, locked up the rear wheel and as it fish tailed up the street I saw a city bus three feet behind me trying to stop. I went off the road and down an embankment and into so trees but stayed with it. The next day the new owner picked it up and I never saw it again.
The next one was a Honda 50 and I was Famous for that one.

Every group has one that made it and no one would have guessed. Ours took over his Dads insurance brokerage and made so much money the Government wanted a loan.
Never saw much of him after a while. We weren't up to his wifes standards. She wasn't quite so fussy though when she was in the back seat of my old Ford wondering who was next.

Steve

I know you mentioned a ping/cyclone set up but is that better than a brushless powered wheel of 500W which is the limit here?

You would get arguements from hub motor users but yes, it would be better setup if you don't mind chain noise, alot of hub motor users use them because of the low noise factor. Hub motors as a rule need to run higher voltage to get comparable speeds with a non hub motor running through the bikes original gears, as per the Cyclone kits do. 36v 20ah Lifep04 on a 500watt motor will get you some pretty decent miles in they vicinity of 25-30 mile i would guess without working it out. Top speed up near 35mph roughly maybe a lil more. (Those cyclones over volt well to my mate pulls 3000watt through his 1000watt after heat losses etc still double the rated spec) 500watt cyclone would climb hills well too, unlike comparable size non geared hub, they struggle to get over a speed hump unassisted on 36 volts LoL Check your state laws on max motor, each state differs i here. The federal law Safe often brings up has nothing to do with the individuals bike, it is a guideline for manufactures to adhere too for mass produced bikes sold to the public. They must have motors no larger than 750watts, think they have a 20-25mph speed cap too i forget now without checking the federal law again. So you might in fact be able to use more than 500watt size motor. It clearly states in the USA Federal Law that there is no guidelines for individual built bikes so your State laws would have precedence.

KiM

Last edited:
No gears here. Her Majestys Royal Canadian wouldn't like that. Top spead is 18 kmh.

Lord, if there is no chain noise, may as well have a peddal car. What kind of range would that have would you think?

Gas motors here in BC are in the gray area. Depends on how Officer Fuzz's day is going.
Might get a home built "U-built" serial # if it passes but probably not. Lot of questions and rules.
Electric is a shoe in no questions asked. Just can't be so fast they can't catch you.

Steve.

Thats normal. I lived there for 23 years up until I moved back 2 years ago when I got to sick to live on my own.
On the road again next spring. Still thinking electric which is the Green Power that they all love and want.
Your thoughts are still welcome here in the Colonys.

fast "Father Christmas"eddy

I have read alot of Canadas power is generated by hydro ? Would make the electric bike a that lil more environmentally friendly i guess, no coal or nuclear to generate the power too charge them, are Canadians in general more conscious of the environment than your South American neighbours maybe? Now all they need to do is figure out a way to dispose of dead batteries in an environmentally friendly way and they will have their totally green mode of transport too keep them happy LoL..

Cheers Santa hehee

KiM

Most of our power is hydro {water} generated. Took me a long time to get used to calling it electrity as they do over the line. Here it's hydro. We do have coal and nuclear power but there are huge hydro power dams in northern Canada.
Guess you could say that water generated power is green but it messes up the fish traveling up the rivers to spawn so nothing is ever perfect.

My Dad and brothers had a family lumber business and one of the rules during the Second World War was no cutting within 50 ft of the water.
Dads up to see how the lads are doing and there is a 4ft stump right beside the river. Just as he staring at that he hears a car door close and the forest wardens voice. It is a$1,000 fine in 1942 dollars.
The forest warden walks up to Dad and never says a thing. As they walk past the stump
the warden says to Dad, there's one for Hitler and on they walked.

It has always been very tough here if you mess with the enviroment. Yes we have had more stringent rules here regarding the enviroment.
Canada is the largest country after Russia but we have 1/10 the people of the US so it is easier to control the population. That 95% of the people live within a 125 miles of the border helps also.
When I moved to the States people used to ask me why I put candy wrappers and other bit of paper in my pocket and we were taught that you never throw anything on the ground ever. I never thought anything of it until it was mentioned.

I used to hear how clean Canadian cities are from Americans who visited here. That is a little harder now with the off shore types who are used to sh8tting on the street but the favorite ticket up here is the littering ticket and some places its hundreds of dollars and worse if you are a repeat offender. That 52% of the people in vancouver don't use English as a first language is at times a problem. This isn't New Delhi.

Here in Vancouver our whole transit system is run on electric buses and our Sky Train Monorail which runs for miles is all electric too. Only buses that go out of the city into the surrounding cities are diesel.

Many cities in Canada run electric vehicles as much as they can or is practical.
Recycling is a national sport here. Part of the reason is it is driven into us at an early age.
Every thing here is expensive. Much more than the US. We are up to your prices on most things except gas. We are at $4.25 for 4ltr. CDN. Smokes are less I think to at $10 for 25, 24 beer are $40. .750 ltr. of local whisky ect is $25-$30. Most consumer goods are more than in the US. Food also.

We have bottle return depots that take every thing from small appliances to TV's, computers, old paint. There are drop off points for hazzardus chemicals and other things. Most all of it is destroyed or recycled.

Being on the Pacific rim is good because it all goes over seas as raw materials.

We are the largest supplier of oil to the USA as well as natural gas and electric. Some 85% of our manufactured goods are sold to the States as well. Canada is the largest trading partner with 36 of the states.

We do have our moments but like any relations they are resolved and life goes on.

Steve

Back