Auxiliary Fuel Tank for Diaphragm Carburetors

yet another diagram

I hope this does not confuse but simplifies a little. Count it as my contribution. LOL See attached file.

Attachments

• extratank.jpg
    extratank.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 331
I'll be configuring a 64 oz tank that I got from Stanton in OK. See attached. If anyone wants to see my mounting hardware detail just let me know.

PS I have the GEBE Suberu Robin setup.

Attachments

• image_thumbnailer.jpg
    image_thumbnailer.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 301
Thank you. It's a nice diagram but I have three holes in my tank (one of which is for the vent assembly) so I do not have a vented cap. Thanks to augidog I pretty much have it figured out already. He is going to be adding another tank on a friends bike this weekend (which has the same stock tank I have) and he's going to be posting some pics to be sure I know exactly how it should be. Great guy that augidog :cool:

I hope this does not confuse but simplifies a little. Count it as my contribution. LOL See attached file.

thanks, shawn', but i wouldn't start a poll on that if i were you ;)

i think anyone who takes the time to put together helpful diagrams is a great guy...if someone needs more details than i provided to accomplish this mod, then Terra's pic is spot on :)

i've learned shanes' going to use a different carby & remove his main tank, so his job won't be much help here.

i'm going to hope this does the trick for the tanaka 40cc folks...

i previously had a 40cc setup on a full-suspension pacific, which now belongs to quay, who runs a Robin-Subaru EHO35...her setup is just like Terra sez...we drilled a 3rd hole in the tank, plugged the vented cap, & goterdun.

96 oz. tank (& 12V/7.5A SLA) placement, full suspension:
MVC-057F.JPG

mock-up of stock Tanaka PF-40 (3-hole) tank & carburetor, w/extra tank. it was easy for me to simply transfer the return line to the lower hole, using the top hole for aux inlet...note we folded/ziptied the un-needed 2nd line:
Mvc-007f.jpg

Last edited:
Wow...thanks for taking the time to make a mock up and take a picture. That's awesome. Is that the vent I see on the aux tank?
The tank I'm thinking about using may not have a vent. I'll show you a picture if your interested. Can I buy vented caps to fit metal tanks? Just curious as a backup but do the whizzer style tanks have vented caps?

SS

thanks, shawn', but i wouldn't start a poll on that if i were you ;)

i think anyone who takes the time to put together helpful diagrams is a great guy...if someone needs more details than i provided to accomplish this mod, then Terra's pic is spot on :)

i've learned shanes' going to use a different carby & remove his main tank, so his job won't be much help here.

i'm going to hope this does the trick for the tanaka 40cc folks...

i previously had a 40cc setup on a full-suspension pacific, which now belongs to quay, who runs a Robin-Subaru EHO35...her setup is just like Terra sez...we drilled a 3rd hole in the tank, plugged the vented cap, & goterdun.

96 oz. tank (& 12V/7.5A SLA) placement, full suspension:
View attachment 22275

mock-up of stock Tanaka PF-40 (3-hole) tank & carburetor, w/extra tank. it was easy for me to simply transfer the return line to the lower hole, using the top hole for aux inlet...note we folded/ziptied the un-needed 2nd line:
View attachment 22276

Last edited:
Is that the vent I see on the aux tank?
note we folded/ziptied the un-needed 2nd line:
HT/Whizzer tanks work fine for both 2- and 4-strokes :)

sure, post a pic of your tank, someone will have your answers & maybe the cap you need.

btw-this is easy for me to do...i'm in the shop, internet/camera/tools/parts, everything's handy, it only takes a few minutes...and to me, this amateur "technical writing" as a timekiller is fun :cool:

Last edited:
here is a picture of the tank I'm thinking about using.
I don't know if it has a vented cap or not.

tank.jpg

HT/Whizzer tanks work fine for both 2- and 4-strokes :)

sure, post a pic of your tank, someone will have your answers & maybe the cap you need.

btw-this is easy for me to do...i'm in the shop, internet/camera/tools/parts, everything's handy, it only takes a few minutes...and to me, this amateur "technical writing" as a timekiller is fun :cool:

The $20 - 64 oz tank from Staton

I'll be posting all the details on a separate thread for clarity. But first I just wanted to show you guys how I mounted the $20 tank from Station for all GEBE rigs. The mounting hardware amounts to no more than a 3 or 4 ft strip of 1/8 by 3/4 inch aluminum strap. 3 bolts with neoprene or nylon lock washers and a 3/8th or 1/4 inch galvanized pipe cut to 2 inches for a spacer.

The spacer was required to account for the off set placement of the mounting ears on the tank. That keeps undue stressing or bending of the ears which can cause a weak point on all plastic tanks. There was no need to drill or alter the main motor bracket. Indeed this bolting and clamping with doubled strapping with 3 bolts results in a quite rigid and strong mounting. The 1/4 inch bolts and lock nuts with the plastic neoprene fill is a must though. Please ignore the extra clear tube coiled in the rear photo. I got a hold of the inside end and plugged it with a metal screw. I just cant bring myself to cut it off as yet. LOL New tank requires only the one black tube for supply as per the intructions from Den of GEBE.

Lets see, 64 ounces plus the 20 or so more in the existing tank is 84 ounces. At 180 miles to the gallons that means a range of 118 miles. Right? Also note how short that supply line is from the new tank into the old tank. I like this rig. That's about 20 more miles than the 50 ounce tank. LOL

Attachments

• Bobstank1.jpg
    Bobstank1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 301
  • Bobstankback.jpg
    Bobstankback.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 286
  • Bobstankclamp.jpg
    Bobstankclamp.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 311
i like that tank, TerraPilot...i use the same one on my 40cc as a stand-alone, no main tank...and thanks for pitching in...the more examples folks see the better the chance they'll understand the theory.

question: have you confirmed the 64oz?
i ask because i have 2 measured 25oz markings
and the 50oz mark is right up top:
MVC-010F.JPG
50oz is still a lot of fuel, tho.

shawn: yes, that cap's vented...

beware, i considered the underbar tank once, but it's only suitable on narrow top-tubes, with my 35mm tube the filler-cap would be jammed against it...so all i'm saying is "measure carefully before buying."

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4130&highlight=underbar+tank

Last edited:
Good point. I handn't thought about the filler cap. My top tube is a bit chunky. I aslo realized that my top tube is slightly arched so I would have a gap between the top tube and the tank. I guess I have to keep looking.
I'm not a big fan of the tanks I've found so far. I am looking for a barrel style I can mount on the front or possibly have something custom made.
It would probably cost a small forturne though.
I designed this one a while back. Tell me what you think.

before.JPG
after.JPG

i like that tank, TerraPilot...i use the same one on my 40cc as a stand-alone, no main tank...and thanks for pitching in...the more examples folks see the better the chance they'll understand the theory.

question: have you confirmed the 64oz?
i ask because i have 2 measured 25oz markings
and the 50oz mark is right up top:
View attachment 22297
50oz is still a lot of fuel, tho.

shawn: yes, that cap's vented...

beware, i considered the underbar tank once, but it's only suitable on narrow top-tubes, with my 35mm tube the filler-cap would be jammed against it...so all i'm saying is "measure carefully before buying."

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4130&highlight=underbar+tank

Back