Brakes Brakes for my awesome cruiser! Please reply.

"I'm in the midst of trying to install Suzuki motorcycle front suspension and 240mm hydraulic disc brake on a cruiser bike frame.

The benefits are promising and quite obvious."

I did that to a supercycle mntbike when I was twelve. it was really heavy and the frame broke in half in the middle of the length of the downtube a few rides later. the geometry was bad enough but the fork compressed so that the bike nearly bucked you off at full compression. Just from squatting so much on the front end.

I hope that helps a bit. I like what you are doing honestly, I allways whished I could give it another go. Yes your brakes have potential to be very very durable. :) maybe an it175 Yamaha fork would work. I have one downstairs if you want measurements.

Hey, thanks for the tips and warning.

I currently have side pull V brakes on front and back of my motorized 7-speed Schwinn Cruiser.
I was wondering if there are any V-pads that are more heavy duty that won't wear out as fast.
I personally find dual V's to be the best brakes for the money.
Decent and easy to replace with the wheel on, you just have to adjust them right and yes there are larger and more meaty pads that last longer.

Discs are dandy brakes but they have little dime or nickle size ceramic pads that stop you great but they wear out much faster, U have seen new sets go in two months.
The pads cost more to replace and depending not as easy to do.

Band brakes work pretty well and last longer than V but it is still a brake part that wears, it is just harder to find and not cheap or easy to replace.

Hub brakes like band brakes have pads but the drum is just like a coaster brake. the parts are inside the hub which again means pulling the wheel and pricely parts.

Unless you really need the stopping power of discs I'd stick with V's and and put the money you would throw at a disc setup into a lifetime supply of new nice V-brake pads and smile ;-}

Yer right KC, (I guess,) But I would still like an old style moped rear hub on mine for the drum rear brake and the more stable setup. Right now I have cantilevers on the front and a coaster on the rear. I HATE coaster brakes, I've already been in at least one wreck because of it. (It locked up in a turn.) And ya gotta admit, A drum beats the h3ll out of a coaster any day.
Big Red.

Back