Sprockets Broken small chain engine sprocket

I'm not sure if this can be done on a bike motor but on small scale 2 stroke engines I don't like to use a piston lock so I have used what they call a hydraulic seal. what you do is you turn the engine over till you can fill it thru the plug hole with gas and not have it go down the admission ports take a bit of patience but that seal spreads the load over the whole piston not just pressing in 1 place. again I have never tried it on a bike motor.

This is basically hydrolocking the engine. Quite effective indeed.
The rope trick is quite harmless to an engine if done correctly though.

Full instructions on how to to change your 10t small front chain sprocket

First of all, GearNut is Very helpful, i used some of his info to fix my sprocket. Now it is so easy. REMOVE PIN FROM CENTER OF SPROCKET BEFORE STARING AND IF POSSIBLE THE BALL BEHIND THE PIN.

as far as the rope goes,(the harder and more dangerous way) remove your sparkplug, feed a couple inches of rope in, turn the sproket slowly in the direction you want to turn,( to the left to remove nut and to the right to put it on) it will lodge itself between the piston and wall and stop it from turning. reverse sprocket to remove.

the easier way: take your extra chain link from sizing your chain. run it in the sprocket in the top foward position to to remove nut. stop the gear from turning by lifting the first link in an make it jit a wall. use sparkplug tool to remove bolt. note: it will take force to loosen. remove bolt and jagged washer.

next like gearnut said, oil the threads on the tool. carfully spin the outer piece into the sprocket until it bottoms out. (if you spin to the left first you'll feel it drop into the grooves.) take the center bolt for the tool (OILED) and spin into its spot on the tool. using an open end/closed in wrench put the fitting closed in on the bolt and spin clockwise. it will eventually become hard to turn (the oil helps ease this part) when you cant turn no more, turn with force, it will soon feel easy to turn and that baby is off of there. it will stay on your tool. before pulling away put your hand under the pin that the sprocket is on to try to catch a very small half moon/circle key that sits in a groove on the pin that locks that sprocket in place. if your lucky it will stay on the pin. THE KEY IS VERY EASY TO LOSE AND YOU S.O.L WITHOUT IT.

To put the new sprocket on put the key, round side down in its slot on the pin(you will see how it's grooved). slide the sprocket on to the pin putting the grove around the key. tap with mallet or something of the sort. hard but not to hard, soft but not to soft. it will go right in place.

Add the jagged washer and add the the nut. use your piece of chain to feed through sprocket in the bottom reverse positon and make the first link hit a wall to stop sprocket from turning. tighten the nut. remove chain links, put your chain on put your cover on. and your good to go.

Attachments

• loosen.JPG
    loosen.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,706
  • tighten.JPG
    tighten.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 223
  • key.JPG
    key.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 208
Back