Build of 3 Speed Friction Drive

Just finished the jackshaft, the pulleys, and enough of the frame to fit them together. The pulley ratios, sturmey-archer ratios, and roller size calculate to equivalent engine mounted rollers of 0.77, 1.03, and 1.38 diameters for the three gears. Next, I will be working on a starter mechanism.
007121114PowerTrain.jpg

Thats really cool looking. But there's def. to much going on there to be reliable. Wood pulley's? Dont get termites! Cool idea though. Hope it does work out great for ya!

It can be both complex and reliable. If I get this to work, I expect I can tweak reliability into it.

I used this type of belt drive before and it works really good. The small aluminum pulley is grooved to match the 4 belt ribs, the larger wood pulley has a smooth surface and is made over size and then machined smaller in steps to get a proper fit with no idler. The rubber belt ribs compress to allow for tolerance. This is my first try at making the small grooved pulley from wood, that might have to be replaced with aluminum.

This project is highly experimental, if it flops I will try something else.

I mounted the drive mechanism to the bike and added a starting system. The attached 10 second video shows how the starter works. There is a brake lever on the handlebar which is connected to the starter roller.

In the video I first show how the bike can be pedaled with the motor off. The tape on the jackshaft and motor pulley shows these are not turning.

Then I actuate the the stater a few times to show how the roller is pulled into contact with drive roller and the jackshaft roller.

Then I engage the stater and pedal to show how the engine is started. The jackshaft and engine both start to spin.

I need a few more days to make up control cables and cobble up a gas tank, then can give it a try.
008121123MountedonBike.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just a marvel Lee, I'm sure with anyone of lesser craftsmanship or having less mechanical ability the results would be far different. I'm curious to know how it runs on the road and your impressions over the long haul.

Last edited:
A few days ago, I took the bike outside for it's first test. It started and ran good for about two blocks, then started making rattling noises like something bad was happening to the engine. The problem was the rubber grommets that drive the engine pulley got wiped out. Post #8 shows these parts. I made some corrections and eliminated the rubber parts.

Today, I rode it about two miles and everything works. All three gears work and the ratios seem right. I did have problems with operating the starter control. The starter lever needs to be squeezed real hard to get the starter roller to not slip, just needs a little more leverage.

Next I will be working on a permanent gas tank and I am going to try to make my own larger and quieter muffler.
010121204Bike.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The good ole USA needs a bunch more Lee_K's. You know, like it used to be when the country wasn't sitting on their butt's watching reality shows letting their brains turing to mush. (nobody on this forum of course)
When we were experimenting, creating, inventing, prototyping and manufacturing. Way to go Lee. Keep it up buddy.

Well, Lee
All I can say is don't give up. Life's an ongoing battle of trial & error.
No matter how well some of my put-togethers work, I'm always thinking
there's gotta be a way to make it better.....and sometimes worse.:sick:

Back