Buyers Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.
and... By the way,,,

I have sold thousands of these worldwide. Never offered a warranty to buyers outside the lower 48 states. Never will. Can't. But..this is posted, so.. Buyers outside the country know this is the policy. This policy is posted on site, on ebay, and everywhere I can think of. I have been buying and selling engines since the 70's world wide. It is not wise to shut down buyers in other countries when they want product warranty or not. Motoschwinn, that makes no sense what you are saying.. I mean.. If Customers what product warranty or not....You are saying.. You still will not sell to them? This makes no sense at all. So.. You have a Customer in Germany, they want an engine, you tell them, I can not offer you warranty so.. I can not sell to Germany.. And..The German says.. I do not care. I want your Engine, warranty or not.. and..Motoschwinn, you say.. Sorry no ? Since I can not offer you a warranty, I can not sell to you.. But the German says.. I still want the product !!! Sell it to me !! and you say.. Sorry..no....lol.. Motoschwinn.. Too funny.. Motoschwinn.. What is it that you have been selling for the past 68 years ? You must be 80 something years old !! Wow !! Please endow me with your wisdom. If you can not offer a warranty, you will not sell it to the Customer, even if he wants no warranty. They want product !!! This is interesting logic for sure. Motoschwinn. What does your company sell? What is your position ? CEO? VP of marketing? LEt me know..Thanks..

this argument is NOT helping anybody
we do not need to stoop to this level any longer
as far as I am concerned this is between a buyer and a seller
policies were clearly stated regarding this transaction

Ok, our family business has been selling office furniture and products since the mid 1930's. Sorry, we don't have titles. no CEO or stuff like that. We are just a family business started by my grandfather and we all work together. I can tell by your post that you are getting extremely upset, or something... So I will say this; If we could not warranty one of our products to one of our customers regardless of the reason we WOULD NOT SELL it to them. It's just good business Duane. If you can't take care of your customer down the road (that would be a possible repeat customer) then you should let the competition have them. All I was trying to say to you, is that if you did what you are doing for your US customers, wouldn't it benefit you to do that for your international customers? If I was selling these motors, I'd be going after business everywhere regardless of where they are. For some reason you aren't getting what I'm trying to tell you... And I'll probably get kicked off this group because you have a thick head. So there you have it and I'm done with this thread... Thank you and God Bless.

lets get back on track ,

QUOTE=greguk;82460]DEAR COLLEGES PLEASE

USE IT FOR 4 MONTHS (IN FIRST 3 MONTHS I USED IT FOR 2-5 MILES TRIPS DAILY; IN LAST MONTH I 14 MILES DAILY).

greguk ,, your piston had to be good when you got the motor ,,if you used it 2.5 miles daily for 3 months ,,,, the piston has to be good shape just to get it started , the piston you showed in the pics could never get that bad in 3 months unless you or someone else done something terrible to it ,,could it be possible that someone put something in your gas tank like sugar , after all the gas cap does not have a lock on it ,,

i don't know what happen but if you sent the piston back i willing to bet they could tell you what caused it to fail ,, and thats what you should be trying to find out is what happen

,, so my advice call thatsdax and if he suggest to send the piston back , he may be able to tell you what caused it to fail ,i am sure the he will do all he can to find answers ,,and the members of mbc would also like to know what happen to the piston ,,

its important to find out what happen ,so it won't happen again ,,good luck and we would like to see you back on the road
japatl

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of what Dax is doing, is based on the freight charges for over sea's. It would end up costing him a bundle shipping parts back and forth just based on what a customer says.
He is completely up front and honest about hids service and warranty.
I owned a business that required service after the sale but it was in all my contracts that I did not leave the county lines, due to travel time and the cost of gas.
I did make exceptions when they paid extra in advance.
Dax is not making a lot of money off these because I know roughly what they cost by the skid.
Shipping, would eat him alive. I'm surprised he did not charge more for the orinal shipping of the kit.
Doc

Well.. I can say this...

Motoschwinn seems to be a good guy, honest with honest intentions for sure. I can tell you, Selling Furniture and selling Engines is not the same. Not even close. At any rate. I appreciate all the input and help from everyone. Thanks.. and.. Enjoy the ride.....

oh...and.. By the way...

By the way.. Greguk.... It would seem as though all you need is Piston and rings. Not a big deal. shipping for these items would only be around 39usd and take 10 days or so to arrive by post. Not a big deal. But.. Greguk, you still need to tell me how many ounces per liter you are mixing. Last thing I would want is for you to burn up another piston and ring. Heaven help us if this were to happen again. so.. As soon as you can tell me how many ounces per liter you were mixing, I will be happy to help you out with engineering and parts. The cost of the parts is not expensive at all. Ring set is only 9usd, and piston is only 20usd. Total with shipping is only around 68usd. Cheap when you consider I paid 165usd for piston and ring for my Honda and I had to go and get it !! Wow !! So.. Greguk, if you can tell me how many ounces of oil per liter you were mixing, I can help you out with parts and shipping. Thanks.. Enjoy the ride...

Refresh my memory- hasn't it been recommended, when "breaking in" on the Happy T. engines, running 16:1, then gradually building up to 20, then 25:1.

There are so many things the seller would NOT know, but I have watched so many new folks come through MB.com in the past six month WITHOUT the hassles of the earliest "full of woe and misery" riders.

Folks who follow the "breaking in" advise seem happiest, and even though this rant is long and sincere, it "sounds" to me like the breakdown was sudden, not gradual. Sudden denotes "metal".

Metal must be a: manufactured and b: shipped, therefore to replace the metal costs money.

Duane has stated how much replacing the metal will cost. He is neither going to make the part nor carry it to your residence. The only things free are diagnosis and advise, which he seems willing to give you, which MAY give you another 6,000 miles riding if you follow that advise and make sure nobody throws sugar in your tank.

What's the big deal? British pound is slamming the dollar, get the part, install it and get to riding. Replacement is the cheapest/easiest course to take.

Caveat emptor is advise centuries old, and he definitely fulfilled his part of the transaction by posting warranty conditions.

I sell goats and dogs, and give a 2 week warranty because I'm an idiot. So many wormy animals get sold and die within a week, since I sell healthy animals, I've never had to replace one.

Any "self installed transportation" less than $300 (nearly a petty expense nowadays, not a capital/depreciable asset) or animal purchase is usually "as is" and if you wanted an engine warranty, you should have gotten a $4-800 Japanese/Euro brand setup.

btw: why isn't somebody in the British Isles importing the engines themselves? That would seem the best remedy for the industry (knowing how much shipping costs are nowadays).

greguk
if you do decide to replace piston and rings and before you order parts ,,make sure you take the cylinder and block to someone that is a qualified mechanic ,so he can check the cylinder walls ,and bearings to make sure that everything else is ok ,

its better to be safe , and there no reason why if everything else is ok that a few new parts you can still get 5,000 miles
japat

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the reason dax is a little defensive is because this is the second attack in less than 2 weeks. A lot of the forum seems to be repair related. These motors are high maintenance. All of Dax's policies as stated before, are listed on his web site. I've made some great friends here just because I've needed so much help with my motor. That's why I enjoy my bike so much, I built it with help and maintain it with help from MBc.
These dax attacks need to stop, it doesn't do any one any good. I just bought my second motor form dax and will continue to do business with him. I wish I had a thatsdax.com sticker to go with my MBc stickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back