Chains Chain size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
<SOME SNIPED>
its also best to use redux ratios that are not evenly divided, ie, use a 12:27, and 12:45... it spreads the wear out between the chain and sprocket teeth..."non-hunting" is the correct term.

with hunting redux ratios, the same spot hits the same spot and any uneven wear is increased. not such a big thing with chain as the number of links between the sprockets changes things a bit, but very important on gears!

timing gears are the one place where they have to "hunt".

You have the right principle but the terms backwards.
"Hunting" sprockets and gears are ones that continually hunt, ie. they don't rest in the same places.
Non-hunting gears have evenly divided ratios and in the case of hypoid car differentials, should be marked and put back together as they came apart. Not so important these days, but it was when I took my automotive course back in the 70s. The diff gears back then came from the factory with a daub of yellow or white paint to show the mesh, they do not any more. I still mark used sets when I take them out. Old school guy. Most other gears and sprockets mesh does not matter so much.

Hunting ratios do spread the wear more evenly like you say, and get rid of annoying harmonics. Good point to bring up.

Steve

my bad... i always thought it was hunting cus it hunts the same teeth constantly, but then again, now i think about it... hunting probably does mean " it takes several rotations to get back to where it was"

youll notice that the HT gears are non hunting. 21:80...or was it 20:81? and they dont even overlap which is sorta useless for helicals but then i think its mainly to keep the clutch seated against its bearings rather than any thought on smooth running/noise/strength...

dont even talk to me about car diffs, awful damn things... backlash and toe or heel contact, shim this, tweak that...

nah, these days , they dont even have apprentices scraping anymore...its just assumed that near enough is good enough. when you buy a new machine, you soon find out that that theory is completely wrong... they know doodly squat, it seems. cant adjust a bandsaw to track, couldnt care less if it even cuts straight, cant do much else but write some g-code and zero in on a jig. pretty pathetic really. line boring? cutting tapered threads on a manual lathe? nah, who needs to know that when you got CNC and CAD?

and i never even did a course! yuk, settling down to one career for years. not my cup of tea... quit motor mechanics after three months when every test started with "did you read the book?". um, no...i can sharpen a drill, thanks. "go read the book"... i soon learnt to say "yes, i read the damn book".

back on track!

that is one seriously old donk there! it probably is actually good with such a high redux, cus it sure isnt ever going to rev that high! just low down torque. what is it, 4 hp or so?

seriously, is that a chain driven magneto/dynamo?

trim the key on the clutch... and get a chain guard! yeah yeah, work in progress...

and i sorta hope theres a collar behind that sprocket to stop the bending forces cus thats some serious overhang there... that will be the weak point. time will tell, of course.

otherwise... i like:D. i have never seen an industrial engine with a separate magneto like that but then again, australia is pathetic when it comes to historical engines... always slightly amazed that my old rotovator fires up on the first pull despite being 70 odd years old... just as well, cus rewinding the rope each time is a nuisance. but so damn cool!

that is one seriously old donk there! it probably is actually good with such a high redux, cus it sure isnt ever going to rev that high! just low down torque. what is it, 4 hp or so?

seriously, is that a chain driven magneto/dynamo?

Not sure on the HP, somewhere around 6-7, it`s a Wisconsin engine mag is factory gear driven.
Push rod tubes are fake just for looks and I removed all the tin.
The thing goes perfect at least for my riding , it will creep along slow or go fast which I`m not sure how fast, I`ve had it up to 25 mph on the grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back