Chain won't line up to the Drive Sprocket

My tensioner IS really stiff, I supposed it could very well be that. It's all greased up too, I'm not sure what else I can do about it. As long as you don't think it's something detrimental to my engine

Check that then first thing - is the roller able to roll freely? And when I say freely, I mean without the chain on it, can you roll it with just one finger? If not, is the roller catching on anything, like one of the mounting brackets? If it's not snagging on anything but you can't roll it with only one finger, you've got a problem. Inside the roller is a hollow cylindrical washer like bit. Putting it in backwards can help, but if not, just keep on adjusting it until you can bolt it to the tensioner securely while it still is able to roll.

I have a an almost identical issue ryno, same grubee 48cc engine as well, and purely by coincidence a similar user name lol. Best of luck with the fixes, I'm doing the same sorts of things with my build, will be sure to let you know if I discover anything not already mentioned here but the advice is solid. Helped me out too. Hope you get it working soon. Just a thought, depending on your manufacturer or who you bought your engine kit from you can call them and see if they'll warranty your 415 chain. I bought through bikeberry.com and called in for some heavier #415 chain- free of charge and shipped to me two days later.

Eh I just went out and bought a heavier chain. It didn't seem to make a difference... I don't really even think it's different than the one they gave me.

Anyway that's pretty funny that you're my parallel.

I can get my bike running, pretty well actually, it's just that the chain hits the metal casing a little bit in near the front sprocket and makes this awful noise. I pulled open the clutch casing and I could see a big dent in the metal... the chain seems to be fine though.

So I still ride it, but I need to get that fixed. It's personal now...

Is the motor on straight? I hate to ask, but I gotta.

How is your sprocket installed? They're all dished now, so it's either convex in or concave in.

Glad to hear its running pretty well, sounds like some fine tuning still involved but on the right track, you should definitely be able to tell the difference between the stock chain from the kit and a 415 chain, but then again different manufacturers supply different stock chains, mine was identical to the bike chain on the pedal side before I upgraded. Best of luck.

It's pretty straight.... I spent a lot of time trying to get it right. I don't know at this point, it could be any number of things. I think right now there is a problem with the chain tensioner.... it's REALLY jenky. Just going to have to keep fiddling....

...and the back sprocket is dish side IN. I've tried both ways, with all combinations of the rubber buffers. This seems to be the straightest from the back sprocket to the front sprocket.

When it's jerky - is it when you start to accelerate? If so - that's your chain jerking on the sprocket teeth, you might need to do some light filing if that's the case.

As well, small 210/410 chain can do that same thing due to the distance between the plates. Here's a great chain reference table.

http://www.azusaeng.com/chain/mcyclchn.html

Hey Ryno, I made some headway last night on my similar issue, noticed the chain from the engine sprocket to the rear sprocket appeared straight until I started really looking at it from all angles, sure enough I had it pulling out away from the engine sprocket just a bit to go unnoticed to the rear sprocket, almost like a micro v with the chainstay. Further inspection and I noticed my U-mount was pulling the engine to one side just a hair, as well as the seat post engine mount pulling slightly to one side too. I don't know if that will help, but double check all that. For me moving the rear sprocket closer in toward the wheel and centering out the motor to get the engine sprocket out from the frame a bit more should true up my problem, but again we'll see. Just wanted to post in case it helps at all.
Thanks.
-Ryan

Back