Dax's or grubee's

Here is my problem, what if it is my error or mistake? Can you give me any simple methods to troubleshoot and figure out why it does not run? I am a retires appliance repairman and know my way around a VOM. However I do not know what the resistance values for the magneto coil, or is I can check the igniter with a meter. As for the fuel system, what and how do I check the carburetor?

The difference in quality between yours and King's products is very obvious, even to me. The clutch handle alone is enough to make me switch vendors.

I just hav an idea: If I remove the spark plug so I can push the bike easier and hook a meter from the white mag wire to ground, should I get a voltage reading? This might tell me where part of my problem lies.

I am definitely a customer who will go to great ends to fix the problem myself.

Tom

It will work or it will be replaced under warranty. All my Dax motors are backed with a 30 day guarantee!! They are great Motors. Also.. The 1cc post is totally incorrect. There are many many different factories in Asia making motors and parts. New ones popping up all the time too. Enjoy the ride....

Before I start taking such drastic measures as sending the engine back, Please tell me how to troubleshoot the engine here and perhaps repair it. I have three or four mags and a couple or so spark coils from other engines. Many of your parts are interchangeable with Kings, and I have plenty of their stuff left over.

Dax Is Best

Well, I changed out the spark coil after the one that came with the kit failed the ohms test. I also cut that pipe off that goes into the baffles in the tail pipe. It doesn't seem all that much more noisy, But even with only a couple of miles on it, the engine pulled me up a steep hill that I always had to pedal assist with a king's so-called "80cc" engine.

Coming back down the hill and heading home the engine acted like it was a little fuel starved. Tomorrow I'll try to play with the throttle linkage. After the bad start, I am pleased with my "Daxmobile." :)

Have a good one.
Tom Bird

engine are not the same

i have 1 kings engine & a 2 other cheapies & 8 skyhawks. from 48cc round head to 60cc ggg 80cc gt5 & the one & only 80cc super rat!!! they are not the same! the cooling fins on the jugs & heads are much thicker for better cooling. the bottom ends are close to same & in pics. look the same but inside they are not. & as i said before you can tell the biggest visual differance in the thicker cooling fins.

Well, I changed out the spark coil after the one that came with the kit failed the ohms test. I also cut that pipe off that goes into the baffles in the tail pipe. It doesn't seem all that much more noisy, But even with only a couple of miles on it, the engine pulled me up a steep hill that I always had to pedal assist with a king's so-called "80cc" engine.

Coming back down the hill and heading home the engine acted like it was a little fuel starved. Tomorrow I'll try to play with the throttle linkage. After the bad start, I am pleased with my "Daxmobile." :)

Have a good one.
Tom Bird

Tom Bird

After playing around with the throttle linkage, check your spark plug. You may want to pull off your carb and clean/ inspect it. If you're starving for fuel, you may consider going up a jet size on the main jet in the carb. Or at least re-position the clip on the needle 1 notch down so that it lets in a little more fuel and quicker. Of course make sure your fuel supply is fresh and use a good synthetic 2-stroke oil in a generous ratio if you are still breaking in the engine. Don't go WOT(Wide Open Throttle) right away, just take it easy at first. And always check your spark plug to see what colour it is to avoid running too lean. Double check your air box too! Make sure it's clean and not being blocked by any debri or frame tube etc......

I'm still waiting to receive my first bike engine kit, but I've had over a dozen pocket bike 2-stroke engines from China and now have one from Europe and let me tell you the quality is unsurpassed in the Euro bikes. Anyhow, just want to point you in another direction other than your electrical system on your bike (which it seems you've solved).

Good luck.
Steve

Reply to Steve

Thanks for the added info. In the past, after a couple of thousand miles I just threw the engines away when they stopped working. Then the last two from Kings were nothing but ****, especially the last one.

This one from Dax looks like a better engine. If I can't get it to work in the next week, I'll send it back to Dax and ask him to get it running for me. I live in a small apartment and have no place to work on a bike engine.

Tom

I have an early Kings engine, It was OK and now it runs good, I have done the most mods on this engine. The thing I like the most about the Kings kit was the tank, I got a large good looking tank in my kit. I just got a econo kit from Dax the 65cc kit it ran good straight away, notice the word "ran". Well I have a hard time leaving anything alone so I did my porting magic and this thing now rips. I am looking for a good a carb, I have one off a Honda mower looks like about 16 mm but it is a butterfly carb, should work. I have had the two engines apart and I have to say the bearings in the Kings are about as bad as you could get, they are lumpy and loose, they are still in there but I am about to take it apart again and I will get some new 2202 bearings from a good suppler, all bearings are standard. This is a pic of the kings kit on my Schwinn, notice the size of the tank! Have fun, Dave
PS: what do you think of the polished cases? (A lot of work)

Attachments

• 4768.jpg
    4768.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 573
... This is a pic of the kings kit on my Schwinn, notice the size of the tank! Have fun, Dave
PS: what do you think of the polished cases? (A lot of work)

That is a **** of a lot classier than my old rust bucket bikes. Did you do all that detailing yourself? It all looks great. I am impressed with your "mile long" tail pipe. All told you do impressive work.

Unfortunately I live in a small apartment. With two computers and monitors, plus the scanners and printers my living room is not large enough for me to do more than bare bones mechanical work. I definitely feel the carbs on the Chinese bikes could be improved on but have not found anything available that works better.

Here's my dumb question of the day: Because of the bad luck I have had with those ignition coils, I wondered if a heavier motorcycle coil would work better?

Tom

Back