EZM "Q"-matic

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 speed automatic would be awesome. And I like the idea of the belt drive to the rear wheel as well - quiet and no mess. Keep us posted on how the 2 speed version will work out in practice.

Thanks

2-Speed Automatic Shift Transmission by Miles

Hi,
My name is Miles Giese and I am the guy that has conceived, designed, built and are now testing the 2 speed automatic shifting transmission.

Follow the progress by visiting my new online magazine for motorized bikes. www.cyclonetics.com and all of my custom parts and the 2-speed will be sold on www.ez-bikes.com.

It is my goal to change this industry and bring it into the mainstream. By providing an auto shifting trans designed specifically for MBs This new trans will solve many of the issues about gearing and still make a legal moped.

As a tooling engineer and a CNC machine shop owner I have started with a blank sheet and designed a device that meets the stated goals. I design and engineer each part using Solidworks CAD system and then machine it myself using state of the art equipment. I'm not limited by what I can buy or get from another manufacture. This device is unique and really works!

I started this project in October and by the end of next month I should have a production ready design. No pricing or delivery as yet. But at the speed I'm working I plan on having it for sale by the end of the year.

I am an EZMotorbike dealer but that is where it ends. EZM is not involved with this project other than they are being kept informed as to the progress.

Asking anybody else, but me, about this project is a wast of your time. They only know what I tell them.

check out youtube for a video of early hill climb test . Search for cyclonetics.

send comments to miles@cyclonetics.com

Miles

Ride safe and have Fun

Hey Miles, it was mentioned a while back that EZM is working on a 2 speed. Is your 2 speed a totally separate project than the EZM 2 speed?

Whoops!,

Sorry Miles, but my reference to the 2 speed dive system was about a different EZM dealer. We have 2 other dealers working on the drive system from early 2009, and when I was informed about your efforts, I wanted to also look at your designs.

One of the submitted designs was a remake of the Bi-Matic and uses fluid to shift, and the other design is to use weighted shoes & gears to make the shift.

It is also important to note, that like all items EZM offers it will be some time before we test & approve items for our dealers. And of course which ever design we accept, complete credit will be given to the design person or team that took the time to make it possible.

We are a very lucky company because many of our dealers are engineers, machinist, and experienced motorbikers. In fact we couldn't be where we are today without such talent.

Please keep us informed of your progress, and hopefully your drive can end up as a EZM option.

Have fun,

Whoops!,

Sorry Miles, but my reference to the 2 speed dive system was about a different EZM dealer. We have 2 other dealers working on the drive system from early 2009, and when I was informed about your efforts, I wanted to also look at your designs.

One of the submitted designs was a remake of the Bi-Matic and uses fluid to shift, and the other design is to use weighted shoes & gears to make the shift.

It is also important to note, that like all items EZM offers it will be some time before we test & approve items for our dealers. And of course which ever design we accept, complete credit will be given to the design person or team that took the time to make it possible.

We are a very lucky company because many of our dealers are engineers, machinist, and experienced motorbikers. In fact we couldn't be where we are today without such talent.

Please keep us informed of your progress, and hopefully your drive can end up as a EZM option.

Have fun,

An "EZM option"?

I'm thinking EZM competitor. This IS America you know. :)

Hi Arceeguy,

Miles is an authorized EZM dealer. Miles is one of the best! Miles currently makes quality parts for EZM.

EZM is thrilled that he is working on a 2 speed drive system and look forward to his success in doing so.

Have fun,

There is no need for competition. I support EZM 100% but that dose not mean that I don't have my own path in the motorized bike world. My motto is... "If we don't start working together to make this industry grow, all we'll be doing is fighting over scraps"

I'm driven to create and produce quality motorized bike parts. And to change the motorized bike world.

My 2-speed is on the fast track to full production and I hope that many others are working as hard as I am on making motorized bikes practical.

If you have an idea you need turned into parts I am at your service.

Miles

Hi Miles,

Any news on your latest test results?

Just tested a new 2 speed on one of my Whizzers, and it shifts way too quick [hard]. When under heavy throttle it "snaps" into top gear, it doesn't slip, but quickly drops the RPMs of the motor. Under easy throttle it upshifts at 18 MPH, but under hard throttle it hesitates to shift until 25 MPH.

It is on the way back to the vendor to soften the shift and I hope be testing it again soon.

Have fun,

Glad to hear that there is progress on another design. Automatic mechanical systems are very touchy and hard to get just right. My hat is off to you, fellow designer, I know the effort it takes.

I ran into these shifting (Dog In's) as I came to call it in my early designs. Very hard to control and subject to high point loads and mechanical jarring. After reading an article about making Compliance your friend in your designs I took a step back and re thought things through from the point of view of making the weak and the hard to control parts of the design.. well..Part of the design!

Compliance is defined, in this case, as the flexibility you need to conform to real world conditions and still provide form fit and function. Instead of trying to control a situation by over building, allow for movement and flexibility where you can and only control those things you must.

The late shifting by holding the power on in normal for just about any system. If it is automatic you are going to have to scrub off some torque in order for it to shift efficiently.

My testing continues and we are up to 170 hard ridden miles and countless hours of bench testing. I still have yet to blow the thing up. I was out on a test ride and reached a confirmed 37mph! Way over the design speed! Inspection shows that I still have some work to do on getting the gearing just right and the prototype has developed a high spot in the ring gear that makes a wine or growl depending on speed.

Work on rev1.2 continues and should have the new gear ratio for the low end ready to test soon. And a new Ring Gear! This new low gear will bring the bike up to 12 mph with quick acceleration which is the sweet spot for shifting on my system.

I'd love to hear more about your test

Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back