Felt MP

hey guys, been a couple of months. wanted to bring this thread back and let everyone know i didnt just quit. still have the same plans, but was mostly waiting for stock on parts. i just ordered the grubee gearbox kit less the HS engine. plan to order the motor online before the weekend is over.

one quick question on the honda gxh50. i remember reading in here about the shaft lengths. i looked in "small engine" and had gxh50qha. i wanna know from guys who have this combo that i wont have problems with the shaft length, which is posted at 1 5/8".

i bounced in and out of here to look, but didnt really engage. no one had parts to order from and the wait was loooong. glad a supply got shipment tho.

well, since the last time, been really dreaming more and more of a total custom build. i know its kinda rushing, since i havent built my first yet but dreams, baby dreams. only problem is i have no idea on building a frame from scratch. thinking along the lines of a cafe racer, kinda like the old tritons, if any of you know of them. half norton/ half triumph motorcycles. anyway, i might embark after i get thru this felt mp.

so, appologizies for not posting, i hope all is well and riding strong. Im getting my parts FINALLY and now can continue with fudging my way thru this new found hobby.

cheers, grez

Last edited:
The killer deal from Small Engine Wharehouse is on the GXH50 with the 1&1/4 in. shaft and no fuel tank for $210.00 The motor with the longer 1&5/8 in. shaft comes with the fuel tank and sells for $270.00. Either of them will work with the Grubee Gearbox.

ocscully

thanks ocscully, i had both g-box and motor/no tank ordered yesterday. i wasnt sure about the saft length at 1 5/8". guys were mentioning 1 1/4 and got me scared for a little. irish said in a nother post it would work. still hope that extra 3/8" doesnt rub on anything on the other side of the gear, like the cover or something.( i dont have the parts yet so i dont know). i will post as i go along tho.

grez

i finally got the GB and motor in. heres the start i guess. i couldnt wait to get started. first thoughts......****, those chinese manufactures really really really need some sort of quality control. the honda motor was beutiful, clean and i would bet i wouldnt have too many problems......the gearbox....ooooh boy. first, the thing was dusted with iron filings and caked in corners. casting of both cover halves....****....pits, gouges, flakes, etc....and one bearing feels gritty when turned. i flsuhed with degreaser and tri-flow...shards and flakes of metal floated out. the flush did do some good, but still not as smooth as the other bearings. i did clean everythng tho.

i mounted the motor base, motor and gearbox. snugged all fasteners just for a dry fit. its my first build so i wanted to see how everything works.

i see what irish john was saying about the woodruff key. it wont fit inner clutch and loose fit in motor shaft and outer clutch cover. there is in and out play on the outer clutch cover after center bolt is in. the outer third bearing for the drive cog was the gritty one. i really hope it doesnt bind and freeze or even spin out.

also pulled the rear wheel, i need to dremel out the center for the rear spocket to fit over stock rear hub. rear fender will need trimming as well. i think irish john mentioned that too earlier in the thread, cheers.

pulled honda exhaust manifold just to see. will need hardware for pipe. i am considering bending my own pipe, not sure. its the QUALITY welding on the pipe muffler thats making me think........i can do better.

all and all i am happy. tinker'ers thing i guess...funny thing is the more and more i look at it the more ideas i get for another.

let the build begin.....

grez

Attachments

• IMG_2258.jpg
    IMG_2258.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_2259.jpg
    IMG_2259.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 466
Hello Grez,

It looks like it is assembly time. I have pretty much completed my Felt MP bike http://motoredbikes.com/album.php?albumid=284 and I like the way it looks, but,
sometimes wonder how I would like it with a 4 stroke with more power and less vibration. I took it for a 20 mile ride the other day with a pretty good gain in elevation. What a workout, I had to do a lot of peddling just to keep the fire lit. Glad you are back on the project, I look forward to your progress reports.

Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
hey keith

very nice, love the bags and stuff. wanna do the same after i get this rolling. just sucked to wait so long for parts. its not very hilly were i am. glad to hear u are enjoying the ride. ....even if it means some peddling. wonder what u are getting for MPG, its a heavy bike.

hey u repainted after the weld. did u use something from felt or OD green from some surplus? i know i am going to want to paint the motor and everything else OD green, not sure if i can find a match or close match to original paint.

New 3-piece crankset?

Would it be to much trouble to get you to take and post a close-up photo of the 3-piece crankset that came with your kit. It appears to be quite different than any of the others I've seen before. It also appears to have come with a new BB Spindle? (I think I see bb spindle in the photo sticking out behind a plastic bag)

ocscully

ocscully hope these help, dont know if BB means ball bearing, Im assuming it is.

i took the crank out of the MP today and looked for a 3 piece conversion for the spindle from the kit today. no such luck, looks like i will have to wait till monday and order online. local bike shop wants 25 bucks for spindle and 15 for special order, 40 skins for the same spindle on some of these online sites.....let me think about it, ummmm....no. i will need to order the spindle and throw in a front drum hub.

the sprocket that comes with this kit and shown in pic is kinda.....crappy. can i replace that with something else??? or am i stuck?

i got the rear sprocket mounted to the rear wheel after cutting the center out to fit. all looks good so far. i need to either extend the slots in the mount plate to allow for the motor to shift a little left or shim the rear wheel alittle right to allow clearence between chain and reaar tire. it just barely touches. i might do 1/8 inch on both mount and shim to correct.

the rear fender needs trim and i mock mounted the tensioner too. i think i going to use that idea with a spring loaded tensioner from tractor supply, but the are out of stock online. not sure where i can find one out here in socal.

grez

Attachments

• IMG_2370.jpg
    IMG_2370.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_2378.jpg
    IMG_2378.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 368
grez,

Thanks for the additional photos, they really help alot. Probably the best deal on-line for an adapter bottom bracket would be the guys at Sick Bike Parts I think thay offer one for under $20.00. As for your Question about changing the the chainring I think it will depend on how the chainring is attached to the clamp that holds it to the spindle. You might want to consider trading in your 3-piece crankset in exchange for the one piece with the folks at bicycle-engines.com The reason I say this is I'm not sure that the spindle that came with your engine kit will fit the adapter bottom bracket? The one piece crankset will give you alot more options in the way of aftermarket chainrings. Any BMX, or Beach Cruiser chainring will fit the one-piece crank. BB means Bottom Bracket which usually includes the spindle bearings and cups to support same. In the second photo at the top you show what I'm going to call a Cotter Pin. Is this used to hold the chainring to the spindle? Is there a flat machined into the spindle where the chainring mounts?

ocscully

ocscully, cheers for the correction, BB....np.....and yes the cotter pin or wedge pin, look carefully at pic it has a triangle shaped flat wedge on the threaded side. the pin wedges and locks on a flat channel on the spindle and secured with a nut.

i saw the spindle assembly on spooky. i will have to make some calls monday and see.

grez

Back