Finally pulled the trigger!

Looks great!
And the video was impressive, I think. Does the motor seem that loud in person as it does on the video? I know you said it was quiet, just double checking I guess.
Thanks, and congratulations on your build.
Randy

I noticed that too, Randy - it actually sounds louder in the video than it does in real life for some reason. It's not too loud at all....

Warner

Your bike looks great! When you ordered your wheel what other parts did you need? Looks like you got a new cassette ? Would you list the parts you needed ? That back wheel is confusing me. Reading your post has convinced me this is a better way to go. But I'm thinking the inside drive would be nice . A list of parts and any build tips would be helpful. I too would go with the 48 spoke wheel, just makes sense. Thanks

Your bike looks great! When you ordered your wheel what other parts did you need? Looks like you got a new cassette ? Would you list the parts you needed ? That back wheel is confusing me. Reading your post has convinced me this is a better way to go. But I'm thinking the inside drive would be nice . A list of parts and any build tips would be helpful. I too would go with the 48 spoke wheel, just makes sense. Thanks

I just ordered the 48 spoke wheel, really. I DID also have to order a new freewheel (like $15) with it since my existing hub used the cassette type, which doesn't work with Staton hubs. No biggie. The wheel came complete, with the freewheel installed. Total cost was under $100. And I ordered the standard outside drive kit. That's it. Oh, I did also order a digital hour/tach meter but they were out of stock so they'll ship that part to me when they get them. That's all I ordered from Staton. Total cost for everything including shipping was just under $800.

PS - The wheel is the same whether you go with the inside drive or outside drive kit.

Warner

Last edited:
Does the chain come with the kit? This looks pretty good, think this is for me! thanks,Warner

Yeah, the chain comes with the kit. All the mounting brackets, hardware, etc is also included. (at least on the OUTSIDE drive kit....I understand you may need to make some of your own mounting brackets with the INSIDE drive kit).

Warner

Warner, now that you've had the kit for a while, can you determine what your fuel economy will be? I realize that the engine may not be broken in yet, but I'm still curious to know the ballpark MPG.
Thanks

Warner, now that you've had the kit for a while, can you determine what your fuel economy will be? I realize that the engine may not be broken in yet, but I'm still curious to know the ballpark MPG.
Thanks

I've had the kit for 5 days now. Hehe. Honestly, I won't have ANY idea until I start riding it further distances. Up until now it's just been stop and go every block or so....I'll have to get back to you once I start taking it to work and back, which is about 20 miles each way.

Warner

Fair enough. I look forward to finding out what you learn.

Well, not that this tells much, but I took a 20 mile ride today and still had some gas left in the standard tank (which I can't fill all the way because the engine doesn't sit completely level, so it probably holds just a bit over 20 ounces. At 20 ounces for 20 miles, that works out to 128 miles per gallon, so it's doing better than that. I'll have more accurate information as I get more miles in....this was my first long ride!

Warner

Back