Framemounting Tips & Tricks II - homemade jigs and tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamabikeguy

Local time
9:50 AM
Had the camera out in the shop, thought I'd take some pix of special little things I use out there to make my builds a bit easier.

#1- When snapping on the spoke-rings (12-6-3-9 o'clock), there is ALWAYS one spoke on my 12 gauge wheels that is just a tad out of line, and I make sure that "odd" spoke is either 12 or 6 o'clock. I don't zip tie the spokes until after it is all snapped on, superglue in the notches is the final touch.

The 3 outside wooden wedges keep everything steady/true while I continue the snapping, and the round piece of plywood in the center, with a hole drilled to fit over the axle bolt, also keeps the ring from moving.

--------------------------

#2-To make the crimp on 50% of the bikes I build, (so the spokering will pass through the rear stays), I use a pipe-flaring tool, with the point grounded flat. It is small enough to fit in the space.

The black aluminum tube gives me leverage to make 2-3 turns. That duct-tape looking monstrosity is really a piece of steel which fits on the outside of the crimping area, taped to keep it from scratching the paint.

Most bikes take maybe three twists to get me the clearance, moving it, tightening again, to make a total of about 2-3 inches of spokering clearance working area.

#3- For frame-mounting, the all-thread with wingnuts is my axle substitute. When I put it in the axle slots, I have it "not quite" in the top of the notch, just in case I need to adjust the finished wheel, a millimeter or two, up or down.

The wooden ruler, when set against my pseudoaxle, tells me where the GEBE spokering will end, and the inner mark is where the crimped area would be.

My "357 millimeter" 1X2 is the jig that holds up the mount for drilling the 2 frame-mounting holes. If I want to hold it up there indefinitely, the two engine mount holes can be used, to screw it into that wooden jig, c-clamp the whole thing upright.

#4- Now that I'm doing a lot of these Robin/Subaru's, using $6.50 Mobil 1 synthetic oil, the neatest way to do all the engine changes is with a 12 ml. syringe, (I buy them by the box for goats, but you can get one at a animal hospital for .20 cents). Pouring the oil into a wide mouth jar, it takes 4 syringe squirts to fill the oil reservoir.

#5- Finally, like many others now, I have my SRDAVO designed metal chop saw, except my metal cutting blade cost $5, not $3.

However, living on a farm with over 40 gates and doors in my barn, my hinge cost me nothing......

Some of these are GEBE specific, but others could be used to frame-mount other types of kits, simply change the measurements to suit.

Have you got any home-made jigs or cheaply modified tools to help on your builds? Or have a pic of your SRDAVO chop-saw?

It's time to update all our tips and tricks for durable frame mounting !

Attachments

• goatbikedogllama 002.jpg
    goatbikedogllama 002.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 495
  • goatbikedogllama 003.jpg
    goatbikedogllama 003.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 422
  • goatbikedogllama 005.jpg
    goatbikedogllama 005.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 417
  • goatbikedogllama 006.jpg
    goatbikedogllama 006.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 371
  • goatbikedogllama 004.jpg
    goatbikedogllama 004.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:
I don't know if I'll ever go with the GEBE or not. So I don't know if I'll ever be able to make use of those tools/jigs. But it's nice of you to share 'em. someone will surely be able to use them.

But I like the chop saw. There's a few things I could use that for. I'll have to think about that one.

I just noticed you can't put attachments in private messages, so I'll put it here:

chaddwinkle said:
I happened to notice these bikes at walmart today and thought it looked like a nice ride. I read your post on modifications you had to do to make it GEBE worthy. I'm not too mechanically inclined but you said you had to crimp the lower fork tube for ring clearance. What does this mean? Did you literally crimp the metal tube to shave off some room? Would the mods to make this bike work be too much to bother with? Thanks.

The Sun Retro 7 (now called the Sun Cruz 7) does NOT require any "crimping", but for the drive ring to pass through the rear stays, some of the bikes do, including the Schwinn Pointe Beaches and Jaguars.

Pic #1- this is the spot where the ring touches the rear stay on a Comfort Rover.

First thing I do is ADD one more washer to that side of the axle, just to get a fraction of extra space.

The "special tool" I made above is an easier way to make a crimp. (#2)

I have a tape/rubber dealio I put on the outside of the rear stay to protect the paint job before crimping/squeezing.

The "cheapest" way to do it is to wrap some tape around the stay to protect the paint finish, then use adjustable vise grips (I have tape inside the teeth to further prevent paint damage), and start squeezing that spot, little by little, until I have an inner DENT a bit wider that the drive ring needs. (#3 on a front drive trike, #4 on a Schwinn)

To touch up the paint, I buy cheap fingernail polish of different shades, then take my red or blue or black spray paint, spray it into the polish, and dab a bit to cover the spot....

Attachments

• 2007_0907framemount0001.JPG
    2007_0907framemount0001.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 329
  • 2007_0907framemount0002.JPG
    2007_0907framemount0002.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 306
  • 2007_0412tricycle0019.JPG
    2007_0412tricycle0019.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 348
  • 2007_0831geezerbike0005.JPG
    2007_0831geezerbike0005.JPG