Fuel, Compression, Ignition

The 5 or 6 pin AC/CDI on a Modern Whizzer needs a resistor spark plug or a resistor in the spark plug boot or the CDI will FRY

I keep expecting @LewieBike to jump in and say, "O-o-o-oh! Another spark plug thread".
Oo-o-o-ohh! I use NGK B6HS plugs because our motorcycle shop has them cheaper than any online. And they also fit my bevel Ducati.

DSC00056.JPG

I used NGK A7's in my '62 bullnose SAAB twostroke, they were excellent.

How 'bout da?

This is a fairly open title for a thread, but I wanted to get some opinions. Starting with ignition, I got a lot better performance after ditching the original spark plug and installed an NGK B8HS. This plug series from NGK are now discontinued, and I am having a hard time finding them locally. The local motor sports shop (where I got the B8HS) also had a BP6HS. The 'P' is for projected, and the electrode extends a few millimeters past the base of the plug (see attachment BP6HS). I want to swap my Angle Fire head for a CNC head (see attachment CNC). With the BP6HS plug installed finger tight, you can see that the base is flush with the inside surface of the combustion chamber, and the electrode extends a little ways in (see attachment Chamber). I hope this configuration will improve the overall performance of my engine (opinions?).
The head was advertised as a high compression head, but after a discussion with @Street Ryderz , I don't think this head will actually increase the compression. The real advantage will be cooling. Look at this thing, it's a massive heat sink. I had it installed on my engine for a while, but I went back to the Angle Fire head. I couldn't decide if it looked really good, or really stupid (see attachment CNC_Head). Any opinions regarding compression, or ignition?
Just because the store does not have that particular does one not mean you cant get the same thing -- Just Google the plug you want and add cross reference to the search.

A reputable store will be able to do this for you. My store has Champion so I use them.

I use the same as @DAMIEN1307 a B6HS, But if you want a NGK B8HS you should Google " NGK B8HS cross reference " there are hundreds to choose from.

Here knock yourself out

Thanks @Street Ryderz , @Wrench and @Chainlube seem to concur. I won't shy away from resistor plugs if they are the right fit and heat range. I will be re-mounting my engine to resolve vibration issues. It will sit lower in the frame, and will accommodate the CNC head better. Looks like I have a weekend project to keep me busy ;-)

Oo-o-o-ohh!
Thanks LewieBike, it was like waiting for the other shoe to drop ;-)
there are hundreds to choose from.
Thanks digital_life, why didn't I think to look for a spark plug cross reference web site :-0 It just goes to show, I'm not too old to learn new tricks ;-)

Thanks LewieBike, it was like waiting for the other shoe to drop ;-)

Thanks digital_life, why didn't I think to look for a spark plug cross reference web site :-0 It just goes to show, I'm not too old to learn new tricks ;-)
Your welcome but if you go to a store that sells spark plugs they should have those lists either in a book or on their computer, The store I go to even has a cross reference book right beside all the spark plugs they sell but even though I know exactly where on isle the spark plug is and what one I need I always go to the girl at the desk with the computer and ask her to cross reference a NGK B6HS (she's a cutie).

While your there next time you should also grab a cross referenced NGK B6HS and try it that's what most people on this forum use for these motors

Thanks @Street Ryderz , @Wrench and @Chainlube seem to concur. I won't shy away from resistor plugs if they are the right fit and heat range. I will be re-mounting my engine to resolve vibration issues. It will sit lower in the frame, and will accommodate the CNC head better. Looks like I have a weekend project to keep me busy ;-)
The Champion L82C works just as well, if the store doesn't have any NGKs.

Now that is interesting. It must be a really high output ignition system.
Yes there is a 85w 8 coil stator in the flywheel that produces power for CDI plus the lights and accessories
2 coils for spark and 6 coils for Lights and accessories. Basically the Modern Whizzer M/B has a 150cc GY6 electrical system.

Last edited:
Back