Gas/electric in frame project started

Holy cow, Doc Brown! You forgot the Flux capacitor!!

Seriously.... Well done. I love to see this kind of stuff being tried. Have you tested this theory out yet or are you just flying by the seat?

Ryan

Hy, last fall I had the engine on the back of my Mongoose spinning a remote regulated Ford Alt. MINUS the regulator- I full fielded the alt. (12v batt. powered the field) and the output went directly to a 250w 24v scooter motor. It did work well, but ran into a bugaboo trying to tap off the big power (which voltge would soar to 50+ volts occasionally) to charge the little 12v battery while in use.
Plus, being that it was really fully powered by both the gas engine and elect. motor, I thought I might have an issue with an officer of the law about it.
So I knew the engine/ alt combo had the umph to propell that bike (about 13 mph).

I decided to do another bike with the Delco when I came up with the 24 v reg and that was the missing piece. And this time the weight of the components is in the frame and not tail heavy- wanting to fall over!

Thanks Dave, do check out the Canadian laws first.

The one to one ratio driving the alternator is just fine in testing today.
Voltage dropped to 23.5 on acceleration and increased to 27 in cruise mode against a brisk headwind.
Running the bike with the engine killed is real quiet- just a very faint whine, like a motor sound, don't seem to hear the chains at all (primary chain is #25 scooter and drive from the jackshaft to the rear is garage door chain).
I think if I was pedaling, I could ride thru a pack of spandex and they would be unaware. Very pleased with the quiet there.
But not pleased with the intake roar of the HF- with the exhaust so quiet, the intake sound is heard loudly.
I will make a sound box to quiet that down.
The next test is to put the good batteries in and see if there is any change in the voltage readings. More from curiosity than necessity.

All that is left is put the stuff I ordered from Niagara cycle (30 miles away) on- the tire liners, decent seat and sus.seat post.
Oh, and I decided to modify the caliper rear brake by extending the lever length where the cable pulls- to give it some actual stopping power- the front V brakes work great.
'Course I'm not exactly flying down the road- maybe 18-20mph.

I will borrow a strobe to see what speed the alt. is actually running at, in case anyone wants to know what rpm this has been working at.

Last edited:
Gee prof, it sounds like you have a success on your hand their. The voltage float sounds like you have it about right. Be interesting to see how new batteries affect things. By the way, how does your rig handle?

Better batteries didn't seem any different, maybe a tiny bit. With the engine set at full throttle and cruise speed (don't know what that is - think my former guesses were hi, likely is around 15 mph) the voltage is 27.2 or so, Voltage still swings down to 23.5 taking off. Here's the thing- dropping the throttle setting while cruising brings the volts down - but only to just over 24 and the engine is more relaxed. I could not get a strobe reading while riding, but at full throttle setting and 34 volts (high since the load is gone?) the rpm is 2943.

Stop the presses!

I went downstairs just now to do a voltage reading at idle when the engine began revving hi - over 4 grand. Voltage went to battery level. I think the regulator might be toast, I put a screwdriver in the test hole (looks like a small half - filled round hole in the back) grounding out something and the engine dropped down and voltage went up.
I am trying to think if I did anything wrong. I did run it without the batteries connected( via the disconnect switch to them) for a minute. There is definitely a load after starting, as the alt. self-energizes without being connected to the batteries and I was wondering where that load was going. Maybe it went to fry something. I guess I will get another regulator and re-wire it so the batteries will always be connected to the output post and switch the field with the same kill/field switch.
Can't give up just yet.

The bike rides awful over the winter- bumpy roads, cheap front fork doesn't absorb any little bumps, very stable though ( I think the little longer wheelbase is fine)
When turning, I need to remember the wide pedal crank is there and the turn circle is greater than I am used to but is fine. Not used to the tiller- like cruiser style handlebars, they might need to be modified. later on.

Last edited:
I did check that last night, I think the way I had the wiring done caused the failure.
I didn't realize the alternator would self energize when connected to nothing external (after using the thing some, residual magnetism within is enough to do it), I had the output wire tapped to the field switch and when the voltage went past 30, I didn't think much about it, but maybe the reg. couldn't handle that spike (you would THINK it would- since it IS called a regulator).
I will re- wire the output to the hot side of the batt. shut off switch so the batteries should limit the voltage spikes.
I 'll try sourcing the field to the dead side of the battery disconnect switch (unless the engine rpm skies with no load before turning the switch on.
Sounds like a plan.

gas/electric

yah ture tax everything. well not to steal the profess. thread butt i want to add an electric wheel kit to one of the gas bikes i have. just a simple build for my first try at an electric bike.

Back