Gas/electric in frame project started

professor, I like you idea I thought about it years ago but your doing it.
THE NEW HYBRID MOTORED BIKE
Keep up the Up Dates, let us know ..........

... Jim

Will do-
I have been working weekends on it ( then, my car stays OUT and my 1/2 of the garage becomes a workshop for 2 days- during the week, I love getting into a warm car to go to work rather than an ice covered freezer/car- come april, the car stays out until Dec.).

this is great... very interested to see how this bike turns out. I could definitely get into riding something like this.... keep up the good work. :helmet:

Will do-
I have been working weekends on it ( then, my car stays OUT and my 1/2 of the garage becomes a workshop for 2 days- during the week, I love getting into a warm car to go to work rather than an ice covered freezer/car- come april, the car stays out until Dec.).

It's VERY COLD in your neighborhood a warm car must be appreciated. Temps up there are in the (-) degrees. I live in the Bay Area and its around 46 F in the morining and 61 F in the afternoon. That's cold to me, I'm a wimp in cold weather.

Stay Warm .... Jim :D

Had a very disturbing message from a co-worker.
Orange County Choppers did a gas/ electric on a recent show (pics are on their website). Undercutting my future fame! Yes, they did use a V-twin, but still...

Actually, I never remember any temps going below zero. Ten degrees occasionally by morning and we just had 3 weeks of 20 degrees days with no almost sun.
This is the worst. It is now over freezing and seems rather tolerable.
I thank God I don't live farther north.
However, if you love all season sports, this place has it all.
Boating,swimming, skuba diving, fishing, jetskiing,hunting,snomobiling,4wheeling,skiing,skating,..

Ten degrees is too cold for myself if I had to go there it would be in the spring or summer. I had a look of that V-twin on there site don't worry about them. OCC can't undercutt your future fame, they used a motorcycle, your using a motorized bicycle a HYBRID BIKE.
You go man, Getter Done!

... Jim

This morning I put on the rag joint and sprocket. (do not buy the rag joint with the 6mm bolts, I had to hack saw the butt edges of the inner metal plates to get them to fit!)
Here is a tip- if there is play on the sprocket as it fits on the bike hub, either use a hammer and punch to deform 3 little spots around the sprocket bore to tighten the fit, or 3 spots of weld which you file down to fit.
You can check the size of the little bumps with a caliper (from a chain hole on the side to the top of the bump) to get them the same while you fit'em.

I took pics but my computer ate them!

This gets rid of any major run-out that causes the chain to go slack and then tight as it turns.

It is a good idea before fitting the sprocket to also check the bore location by comparing dimensions around it (again-same way, chain roller pocket to bore). Mine was within around 5 thousandths, so that was real good.
To easily true the sprocket sideways- put an old fork in the vise, spread the downtubes a little, set the wheel in, bolt it and spin. I place my thumb near the sprocket and watch. Tighten the bolts that correlate to the closest gap.
Eventually, you will get so little run-out that only by spinning and feeling for a rub, can you figure out where to tighten.
Using this method for rim truing works well too. You will be amazed at how close to perfectly true you can get and that is all we need.

I did drill a zillion holes in the sprocket to lighten it up, plus grinding it down to fit bike garage door opener chain (same as coaster brake chain from years back) here is a pic of it mounted-

Attachments

• IMG_1567.JPG
    IMG_1567.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 308
Here is the former scooter rear wheel, it is now a jackshaft, I took a bike coaster sprocket and ground it out a tiny bit (enough to slip over the brakes side threads), cut down the brake and welded the sprocket to it. (pic !)

Pic 2 is of the positioning for the jackshaft for welding-

Attachments

• IMG_1568.JPG
    IMG_1568.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1569.JPG
    IMG_1569.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 310
Back