Safety Helmet camera

GW's Motorized

Local time
5:55 PM
Any suggestions on a good cheap helmet camera? I want to get decent quality video and audio and a decent battery life.

I am considering just spending the money on getting a go pro, maybe I can find one at a pawn shop or on marketplace. I just don't have very much money and can't really afford a good camera.

Any suggestions on a good cheap helmet camera? I want to get decent quality video and audio and a decent battery life.

I am considering just spending the money on getting a go pro, maybe I can find one at a pawn shop or on marketplace. I just don't have very much money and can't really afford a good camera.
You can get a chest mount for your phone. Chest mount view is better and blocks wind noise

I just got the akaso ek7000 for $69CAD. Bunch of mounts for $39CAD. Micro sd for $16CAD. These things sure have gotten cheaper since the days where there was only 1 choice (gopro) I lent my last gopro to my brother...its at the bottom of the sea in oregan where he was surfing. You could go look for it on the beach 🤣

I have a different camera at the moment (DJI Osmo) which is the closest direct competitor to a GoPro. I had GoPro cameras for a long time.

What might surprise most people about most action cameras is that they pretty much all use the same hardware. The difference between an OK unit for cheap from Amazon and a DJI or GoPro camera is on the software side of things (and the quality of manufacture/quality control).

GoPro software is the best, followed closely by DJI, and it shows in the refresh rate, stabilization, and other features that are hard to describe, but easy to see when compared side by side (plenty of vids on Youtube).

I am assuming you are on a limited budget? I would say to get a 360 camera if you really want to get into recording as they offer some of the best versatility, but they are also expensive.

GoPro and DJI do require mic adapters to be able to record with an external mic, so be prepared for that. One advantage of the cheaper action cameras is that you can connect a mic directly like the early days of GoPros. That can create some added complication to adding a setup to a helmet if you want to record voice.

All of that said. Even a decent cheaper action camera will get you started and offer you most of what the more expensive GoPro cameras offer. If you drop and break the camera, crash, etc. You aren't out hundreds either. You can also always upgrade later if you decide you need more/better.

Back