Help with handlebars

s_beaudry

Local time
2:11 PM
Ok, I am almost fully recovered from my wipeout with the car that cut me off and drove away...

The bike is a Schwinn Searcher ( I know I know, you get what you pay for)

Onto the problem at hand.... In the wipeout, from hitting a bump/hole in the grass at ~15mph it loosened up the adjustable handlebars and pushed it all the way forward.

After a few days of recovering, I retightened the two sided allen bolt as tight as I could and locktighted it and took it for a quick ride pedaling, after 5 minutes or so they loosened up again and pushed forward.

Took out the cheap a$$ bolt and used 1/2" threaded rode with nylon locking nuts and cranked it down very hard. This seems to hold it... BUT if I push hard enough I can feel it move forward ever so slightly. Not wanting to flip over the handlebars again, I want an absolute perfect hold and NO movement.

Attached is a picture of the spot where the bolt goes and they pivot from.

Short of buying a new front piece, is there anyway to weld/ jb weld this into a permanent position?

Attachments

• 09-23-08_1331.jpg
    09-23-08_1331.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 09-23-08_1330.jpg
    09-23-08_1330.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 194
  • 09-23-08_1329.jpg
    09-23-08_1329.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 194
i cant really tell if it is steel or aluminum. if it is steel, i would put the good bolt back in and get the handlebars adjusted how you want them, then just weld in the places marked with red in the attached picture. Hope this helps.

09-23-08_1330.jpg

you may think that this sounds rinky dinky
but if you
put a very light coat of JB weld between the parts that press together
tighten fairly tight
I think that you will find
that it will hold

with a light coat of epoxy -- it is possible to break loose later - if needed

regarding handle bars
if I knew right where I wanted them
I would epoxy the heck out of them and tighten

and to be truly safe
since we are talking about handle bars here
NEW MAY BE BEST

don't want to loose those things as we

ride that thing MM

I'm surprised it doesn't have interlocking teeth on the inside to hold it in place. I agree with mountainman in that the epoxy will work well if the new bolt is tightened down well enough. But I would replace the thing. It doesn't sound like its design was correct in the first place.

Back