Here's what I found out about my city's ordinance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there Warner... I hope all continues to improve in your quest to have some sensible laws in Illinois.... I myself was born and raised in Illinois. Personally the older I got and the more asinine and repressive I found Illinois regulations to be, the more I became convinced I needed to leave the state... The requirement that you must possess a drivers license to operate a powered bicycle is absurd, in my opinion.... As a powered bike, most of us will invariably still adhere to the normal bike routines such as staying on the far right side of the road and such. There is just no reason to require such regulations and hassle as having a drivers license... Heck, as Nazi-style as Illinois normally goes, I'm waiting for the day they require drivers license just to operate an unpowered bike... I mean, hey, bikes do inhabit the same relative spaces as all those 2 ton gas guzzlers eh??? I must say, I wish you well in that socio-political wasteland known as The Land 'O Lincoln, but I'm sure glad I left there 15yrs ago.............

Hi there Warner... I hope all continues to improve in your quest to have some sensible laws in Illinois.... I myself was born and raised in Illinois. Personally the older I got and the more asinine and repressive I found Illinois regulations to be, the more I became convinced I needed to leave the state... The requirement that you must possess a drivers license to operate a powered bicycle is absurd, in my opinion.... As a powered bike, most of us will invariably still adhere to the normal bike routines such as staying on the far right side of the road and such. There is just no reason to require such regulations and hassle as having a drivers license... Heck, as Nazi-style as Illinois normally goes, I'm waiting for the day they require drivers license just to operate an unpowered bike... I mean, hey, bikes do inhabit the same relative spaces as all those 2 ton gas guzzlers eh??? I must say, I wish you well in that socio-political wasteland known as The Land 'O Lincoln, but I'm sure glad I left there 15yrs ago.............

Actually, the state of Illinois doesn't seem to have a problem with MAB's at the state level...other than the part you disagree with in wanting people to be licensed drivers to ride one. I'm actually okay with that law, personally. The problem seems to be at the municipal level......at least on paper. Myself and Aaron are going to test it though I think. My personal opinion (and I hope I'm correct) is that the laws were put in place to address kids on their scooters and whatnot, NOT for adults commuting on their bicycles.

Warner

We're going out of town this weekend to visit my parents, then go wheeling in my wife's Jeep at the Badlands Off-Road Park.

Slideshow of Badlands trip in April.

This is when it was stock with normal road tires.
Eugene_Badlands_200804.jpg

Slideshow of Coal Creek trip in May

It now has front recovery hooks, a 3" lift, and 30" BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tires.
100_3036.jpg

Maybe we'll take that bug out sometime next week. I'll bring my BMX over too.

I'm going to get after my intake leak/carb synch issue on the bug soon...but don't know if I'll have time to get to it before next week...Hehe. I have a friend here at work who goes to the badlands with a group and his jeep...wonder if you know him. His name is Paul....big guy.....

Warner

Unless he's cruising in a Liberty, no. We haven't met many of our local Jeep brethren. Still new to the wheeling thing, then is going to be our 2nd trip to Badlands and our 4th time really off-road.

Unless he's cruising in a Liberty, no. We haven't met many of our local Jeep brethren. Still new to the wheeling thing, then is going to be our 2nd trip to Badlands and our 4th time really off-road.

Here's a link to his photobucket site, which is not all off-road stuff, but some is:

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a219/RangerPaul/

And here's a pretty cool video:

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a219/RangerPaul/?action=view&current=MVI_0591.flv

If you want an introduction, I'd be happy to. He's a pretty experienced off-roader.....

Let me know,

Warner

Last edited:
Aaron, I suggest we take this conversation off line. I see how far off-topic we've veered. Sorry everyone.....back to legal MAB stuff!

Warner

I'm really surprised and sorry that your view about a restrictive law such as the requirement of a drivers license seems to be such a knee-jerk and offhanded one Warner... You state that it's your belief that the law might be written to address the kids screaming around on pocket bikes. Maybe so, maybe not; who's to say?? It's still my firm contention that it is completely wrong to require a drivers license for a moteredbike!!! (That's assuming it meets the criteria of being able to be pedaled without engine / under 2HP / etc.... If the vaunted legislators in Illinois are so concerned about pocketbikes, then let them address those issues directly, instead of dragging down the motoredbiker. Do you not see that accepting regulations that are aimed at one group, though affects an entirely other different group of citizens is both counterproductive and an erosion of basic freedoms??? Sorry to be so blunt, but uh, can you not see the "slippery slope' here????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back