Honda GXH50

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by snakedoctor, Apr 29, 2010.

1. snakedoctor

snakedoctor New Member

I have a brand new GXH50 and am having a hesitating problem when accelerating from half throttle. There are two screws on the carbuerator, one is black and phillips head and the other is regular. Does anybody know what these screws are for. I have a shop manual ordered but hasn't arrived yet.

2. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

3. snakedoctor

snakedoctor New Member

Thanks, for the info. I rode it for the second time yesterday and it seems to be getting a little better. I've been running premium gas in it. Also the link to the carbeurator adjusting is a great article.

4. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

You don't need premium. [ no matter what anyone else tells you ] Use what is recommended. I have a small Honda generator that recommends regular gas. Put premium in it & it won't run as well.

5. snakedoctor

snakedoctor New Member

The owners manual says pump octane rating 86 or higher. It also says this engine is certified to operate on unleaded gasoling with a pump octane rating of 86 or higher (a research octane rating of 91 or higher)

6. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Not to dispute, but regular unleaded , at least here, is 87 octane. My Honda genset says 86 or more, also , but premium doesn't run as well in it as regular. Any way, run some more gas thru it, & see if it improves.

7. Tanaka40

Tanaka40 Member

In the Great State of california (LOL) , Premium is 91 Octane !! (unless you make a trip to the local rural air strip for some blue gas)

8. snakedoctor

snakedoctor New Member

I use to fly model airplanes and we used a fuel with NITRO, maybe I'll try that next. This baby should fly then.

9. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Yipes. I would try that fuel on a Chineser kit , first , before trying on a nice Honda.

10. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

11. snakedoctor

snakedoctor New Member

Gxh50

Thanks for in info. Received my shop manual today.

12. Tanaka40

Tanaka40 Member

Thank you Old Bob for posting the link. This should help everone that has carb problems. BTW most "pump" gas is rated by the "research octane number" or RON method and if we are talking about 20 to 40 cents more to put a higher grade gas per fillup (2 gallons max), I would err on the side of spending a few extra cents rather than a fried motor.

13. Old Bob

Old Bob Member

You are welcome.

I've heard these mini four stroke ping on hot days with an appliction of full throttle from low rpm.Good idea to keep an ear out for it and go up one or two grades until weather cools off.

I had one extreme case with a carburetor problem that had the engine so lean it pinged at idle with no load.

14. Tanaka40

Tanaka40 Member

Ouch !!! That's really bad. BTW Most pump gas sold around here is 87 octane and Premuin is 91 (research octane method or RON).

15. jared8783

jared8783 Member

I would agree definetly stick with 87 octane
    It is a myth that higher octane gasolines are better for your engines

I called honda about this when My gxh50 was brand new and they said to stick with 87

Different octanes require your engine to be tuned for them
    I beleive it is because it will throw the timing off slightly

I used to drive a Ford Focus which called for 87 but I always used 93 because I thought I was doing my car some good.
    Then I learned that since that is not what my engine was set up for I was slowly but SURELY doing damage to my engine.

The only way to run 93 in that car without hurting anything was to use a tuner chip to set it up.

On these engines However if ya could find a way to ACCURATELY reset the timing while you are running a higher octane fuel i THINK you should be fine (i dont think these engines have timing marks you can check with an automotive timing light so I have no clue how to go about this)
    accurate timing is VERY important

And a mechanic is going to tell you that it is pointless to go with a higher octane without first tuning for it

My conclusion as to what octane I should use is
    When in doubt
    Stick with what honda says

16. snakedoctor

snakedoctor New Member

I am going to try 87 octane fuel in the next tank to see if it makes a difference. Your reply makes sense, so I will let you know what the outcome is after running 87 octane.