Howdy from Montana

fastfestus

Local time
2:55 PM
Hi all,
I completed my bike on 1/13/10 and have had a near perfect riding experience since. I guess it's because I took the time to assemble it right the first time. MY buddy from Seattle was here last week and rode the "Cactus Killer" and loved it. I got an email from him last night and he had already received his motor and was buying a bike. My question is does anyone have a preference between aluminum and steel frames? I have mine built on a Schwinn Jaguar frame which is steel. Any opinions would be greatly appreicated. Thanks for the forum. It's awesome

Hi Fast, welcome to Motoredbikes.
This question came up a while ago. The one definite thing that I saw was, do not drill any holes in an aluminum frame.
My preference is steel. I have lots of welds on mine. Frame legnthed , motor mounts, tabs, etc.
Weight is simply not an issue when you have a gas engine. What is the weight advantage for alum? 3 or 4 pounds? Go steel.

Hi Professor,
Thanks for the info on the steel vs aluminum frame. My buddy thats building one has the aluminum. so should I tell him not to drill any holes in it for mounting the engine?
Take Care,
FastFestus

Welcome...Thin steel frame that I enlarged the water bottle mounting hole caused me to have to do this.....

Enter my free drawing... link below

Aluminum frames have issues, serious issues, with vibration. They will stress crack and fatigue significantly faster than will a normal steel frame. As others have said, don't drill the tubes on an aluminum frame - at all. Frankly, given the nature of the materials and the near limits of performance that bikes approach encountering road hazards, it is a really bad idea to drill any tube frame, aluminum or steel.

Back