HT quit while riding ???

if you have a spark at all , your mag is probably ok. your cdi is what boosts the spark.just take your time look over all your wiring, very carefully. you may be grounding out somewhere. do you have a multi meter? if so i'll see if there is a way to check the cdi with a meter. is your motor still in warranty?

Curry, Do what i did.

Test your spark out... you have to look pretty close...

Take the plug out, but keep the boot on, and place the electrode near the fins of the head, and lift up the rear tire, and kick the pedals, and dump the clutch...

also since u said u felt it spark going down the hill... do this.

Take out your spark plug, and pour some gas in the sparkplug hole ( that way gas is in the cylinder. put the plug back in, and try to start it.. if it starts, then something clogging the gas, and would look at the carb

ok here it is,
cdi- resistance scale k-ohms blue lead to black lead 303 k-ohms, same reading from blue lead to plug wire 303 k-ohms, & last , black lead to plug wire 2.5 ohms (just ohm, not k-ohm)

mag- resistance scale ohms, reading blue to white ,350 ohms, same reading for blue to black, 350 ohms, & last, black to white should read 2.5 ohms

like with most readings of this type , if its within + or - 10 % it's ok.
if you have a bad part, it will most likely read infinity, or open circuit

I still can't find the problem with this thing. Here's what I've done so far.

- Disconnected the kill switch
- Made sure fuel valve is not clogged
- Replaced spark plug
- Took carb apart to make sure it was not clogged
- Replaced magneto
:confused::confused::confused:

I don't really know where to go from here. When I checked for spark with the old magneto I didn't see anything. How hard is it to see the spark if it is working? I didn't have time to check it this morning with the new magneto, I just tried to start it which failed. I will check that when I get home this afternoon. If that doesn't work then I'm guessing it's the cdi, but who knows. This is getting really annoying.:mad:

unless your're in direct sunlight you should be able to see a spark,it should be a bright white, or blue spark. did you take your plug out to see if it has gas on it? it sure sounds like the cdi, but get someone to check it with a meter first.

Here's a few more things I tried tonight.

- Removed exhaust to make sure it was not clogged
- Adjusted clutch cable to make sure it was engaging correctly
- Removed spark plug and there was fuel on it
- Put starter fluid directly in cylinder and it still did nothing
- Checked for spark again with the spark plug out and I couldn't see anything. I was going to check it by touching the plug but I didn't have enough hands and no help tonight.

I think it is the CDI, but I'm going to borrow a multi-meter and check before I spend any more money. :(

I was wondering if there is a different cdi that can be used with the HT motors? Maybe something that can be bought locally at a tractor supply or small engine shop. I was just thinking that I could try it to see if it worked and if not it could just be returned.

i,m not sure about that, some small engines (lawn mower, & such) have the same type system. i do know once you hook up electrical parts they usally can't be returned.if you want to haul it over to leach, i'll check it for you, or you can one of try mine on it, i have 2 bikes.

Manual states to keep the CDI dry.

Has the unit been washed or riden in rain. Silcon to seal the wire outlet seems prudent.
I check spark in a gardge with it rather dark or at night. Yellow spark is weak and will not be enough to supply combustion. Like someone earlier stated hot white or blue spark is good.
I got the 80cc and I'm sealing my CDI, NOW.
Sorry to hear about the problems. Kinked or poor conections can cause resistance or a broken wire. You have to "feel" the wire or test end to end with meter.

Back