kits from from "luckyearlybird" on ebay...

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250424284255

So I made an offer of $125 for the kit... they counter offered $132... What do we think guys?

Or, someone recommend me an similarly priced vendor website or reputable seller auction on ebay.

I'm thinking of counter offering $127.... :D
How kind hearted of them to knock a whole $7.00 off the asking price. But from what I've been seeing, that price is in line with about everyone elses. I know you're looking at an 80cc, but I paid $120.00 for a Grubee 50cc complete kit, delivered from a reputable dealer. I've got a few more minutes here. I'll backtrack and see if I find anything I think might be of value to you !

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
How kind hearted of them to knock a whole $7.00 off the asking price. But from what I've been seeing, that price is in line with about everyone elses. I know you're looking at an 80cc, but I paid $120.00 for a Grubee 50cc complete kit, delivered from a reputable dealer. I've got a few more minutes here. I'll backtrack and see if I find anything I think might be of value to you !

in terms of power a 50cc would be noticeably less powerful than a 66cc correct? Hows the quality on the grubee kit? Do you wish you had an "80cc" kit?

in terms of power a 50cc would be noticeably less powerful than a 66cc correct? Hows the quality on the grubee kit? Do you wish you had an "80cc" kit?

I just sent you a PM (private Message). I can't answer that question. I have a Grubee 50, but I have not used it. I have only 1 motorized bike at the moment. The first and only. I have a rear friction drive kit on it. I have nothing to compare with, to or against. There are many posts here about the different engine sizes though. You'll just have to search them out and form your own opinion. You might also want to check you local laws. Anything over 50cc and more than 2 horse power is illegal in most states. Maybe all 50. Of course many poeple are using 80cc.

I see you're a noobie, and you may not know yet how to send or view private messages. If not, just post it here under your thread. I'll get back to you on that or maybe someone else will jump on it before I get back. It took me a few days to figure it out, and I'm still learning too !

I'm going to wish you luck, BUT I've read threads nearly identical to this.

And I started the same way in 2005, I didn't buy 1 cheap $99 Avalon, I bought 3. And I bought a used Huffy with the same thin frame as the one in your picture.

Then I made 2 more mistakes, a used Western Flyer single speed and a new Sun Cruiser single speed.

So it took me $600-700 to figure out what's what in the bike department.

Likewise, I had built 10 bikes before I discovered the weakness of 16 gauge spokes, and I quickly contacted my earliest customers, said "we have to switch those out, you do NOT want to go through what I went through 20 miles from the house".

That's why I have a quarter mile of rear rims on the fence.

Same thing with $10 tubes on the rear, it comes from the experience of cutting a quarter sized hole on a shoulder, on my way to Florida, hours from a bike shop, and fixing 4 flats in one day. After the bike shop visit, no more flats.

Of all those early cheap bikes, one Avalon is still in my stable, and I used it Tuesday to make a 80-100 mile break in ride on a 4 cycle engine, (because it was the only bike sitting around halfway ready).

It did not take very long to figure out why I despised that bike. Why I wouldn't sell it to anybody.

The grips are irritating, the brakes s**k, and the front sprocket is small, I could hardly ever help the engine on steep hills, even with 7 speeds.

I know people try to do this as cheaply as possible, but realistically, it takes more than $125 (engine) and $77 (new bike) to get into this game.

My low-end estimate is $450-500 for a reliable ride.

Maybe you can get the kit around that price, but on the bike, you have to swap that rear wheel ($35-50 for 12 gauge), $16-20 for new tubes, and the saddle on the bike you link to is like riding on a brick.

Of those low end Target type bikes, the Jaguar has a better frame, imho.

Thin aluminum is not an asset at 30 mph, vibrating and riding on bumpy shoulders.

Cro-Alloy and steel hold up to the stress.

Sometimes you can find a bike worth $300-400 on Craigslist for less than $100.

Attachments

• bikes 016.jpg
    bikes 016.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 297
  • bikes 3425.jpg
    bikes 3425.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 2007_0722bikefishkill0022.JPG
    2007_0722bikefishkill0022.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
I bought my kit from Zoombicycle. It was 145.00 with free shipping. It had a slant plug head already on it. I had it in 5 days. Everything in the kit was good. I also ordered a bolt upgrade kit and a really good tank petcock from Sick Bike Parts the same day. I then got a duel pull brake lever, new plug, teflon coated clutch cable, all from SBP. I replaced the stock plug wire with a auto one. I've been on the bike for 2 months riding alot with zero problems. I read alot of the posts here and took a little extra time on the original build using the tips here. Saved me a ton of frustration.

P1010109.jpg

I bought my kit from Zoombicycle. It was 145.00 with free shipping. It had a slant plug head already on it. I had it in 5 days. Everything in the kit was good. I also ordered a bolt upgrade kit and a really good tank petcock from Sick Bike Parts the same day. I then got a duel pull brake lever, new plug, teflon coated clutch cable, all from SBP. I replaced the stock plug wire with a auto one. I've been on the bike for 2 months riding alot with zero problems. I read alot of the posts here and took a little extra time on the original build using the tips here. Saved me a ton of frustration.

View attachment 18305

That's excellent, Junster.

Have you calculated your total investment, including a value on the bike?

Back