kits from from "luckyearlybird" on ebay...

All in all the kits is nice. I had one problem with it the spark plug thing wasn't able to be mounted on the frame cause the cord wasn't long enough so I had to make a riser for it to fit. I figured out how to really start it it starts every time.

Btw the kit was a Red Bat kit

With 51 posts already here on this thread, I don't think I need to be adding one more but I am. Seems like every time a person posts a thread about Lucky Early Bird it gets a lot of negative attention. Everything he's ever posted on eBay that I was interested in, his price and shipping is usually a good bit higher than every one elses. I've talked to them a few times and got bad vibes every time. They do not seem to be very friendly or customer satisfaction oriented at all. From my experiences with him/them, I have never purchased anything from them nor will I.

Good thread... a little bit of flaring emotions seem to have permeated it here and there, but all the opinions are well voiced and carry a lot of supporting evidence, and that's what makes building and riding a motorbike infinitely better than debating politics.

Honestly, I never expected ANY customer service or support when I bought my first 2 stroke motor kit. I mean, ****, I was buying a Chinese made bicycle engine kit which is based off of a WWII or Korean War era Soviet 2 stroke motor. There's more than a handful of factories around China that make these motors and kits, and from the videos I've seen on YouTube, the workers who are building them are doing a **** good job given what they have to build them with. If I'm missing a bolt, a gasket burns out, or a CDI is a lemon, so be it. I think we're fortunate to have access to these kits for $100-$150 USD, even if the quality control isn't up to snuff with major automakers and the outfits that are selling them don't have a return policy as liberal as Wally World. I mean, if you bought a "Rolex" for $35 off a guy in a trenchcoat on the East Side, would you report him to the Better Business Bureau if it broke within the warranty period?

Since I'm only a little mechanically inclined and I'm pretty tech savvy, I planned on using Google to help me though the installation process, and I went for the cheapest kit I could find. Ebay fit the bill, and I believe it was PowerKingShop that sold me my first kit. The kit was fine, no complaints, and I TOTALLY got hooked on this message board once I found it on Google. I never would have got the thing on my bike without MBc. Given the amount of advice I've leached off here, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from a forum supporter next time if it would please the forum members. Nonetheless, I feel as though my debt is owed more to the forum members and the factory workers who build these things than it is to the middlemen who import them and fill out the FedEx paperwork.

This forum may well be the future of customer service. I mean, who better to provide technical help than people who have used the product first hand? I'd much rather talk with people on here about my MB issues than I would call the Dell Customer Assistance Hotline about my girlfriend's laptop. If every product sold had a forum as wide and active as this one, consumers would learn to communicate with one another, and humanity could reach the next great epoch... or something like that.

I'm building a spacecraft in my garage now out of 3 HT's and an avacado. If anybody wants in on that, PM me, lol :LOL:

Thanks to everybody on here... this is a very rewarding message board for all involved.

This is EXACTLY what I'm saying. Why are you people gettin' ripped over a china made 130 dollor product. OF COURSE THINGS ARE GOING TO FAIL. TAKE THEM FOR WHAT THEY ARE. And right, alot of these net sellers don't know much about the items that are passing through their hands. Even when they do offer parts, that doen't mean that they know what their for. I just don't understand why some of the people that buy these things,again, for 119-150 bucks and their expecting it to run like a 4.0l jeep engine or a yoda 22r. And I think that most of these vendors, good or bad, disclose the fact that you need some mechanical abillity to install and operate one of these kits. Some even recomend you have it professionally installed. JMO

I thought I should also add that the reason I get so riled about this subject is because these things are a great and inexpensive thing for me to get around on and this sort of "bad press" if you will, along with the dipsticks that can't be respectful are gonna ruin it! Even if parts carp out, they are crazy cheap and readily available it would seem. I own a 97 wrangler by the way with that 4.0 that my wife and I have put nearly 300,000 miles on and I've changed the water pump and the alternator. That's it. But that's the expectation from that motor, ya know what I mean? With these two strokes yer gonna have to work on them. Plain and simple. But that's part of the fun for me. I said in another post awhile ago that I relate it to an old American made Harley. Maintanence is just a givin. These folks like Need an Honest Dealer( which I have to thank the Mods. for banning that turd) are gonna make it hard for the rest of us to get our stuff! Sorry=)

I didn't expect it to run like a $1,200.00 Tohatsu 5hp outboard motor...what I expected was that a company honor a warranty THAT THEY POST ON THEIR WEB PAGE. If they said out of box warranty so be it. It's the principal of it. It's people that feel so what it's Chinese, is why companies can advertise a warranty and get away without honoring it.

I personally don't even bother with the warranty hassle. The parts are so cheep that it just seems easier to just buy the thing is all I'm saying. Now that does'nt mean the way that I go about it is best and I'm sure it just perpetuates the issue. But my expectations going into this hobby were very low to start with. But I also spent a good portion of time reading about these things and knew what I was getting into. I understand principal. But sometimes it's just easier not to argue.

I bought my kit from L.E.B. before I knew this forum existed. The "instructions" it came with were useless. I figured the darn thing out and it's working just fine now. I am happy with what I got for the price I paid especially since they were willing to ship to CA. Shhhh don't tell anyone. Now that I have read the posts here I will be buying my next kit from one of the sponsors.

Thank you all for the wealth of information you provide.

Mike

Finally, everybody on a motorized bike will tell you that your social life, talking to absolute strangers, is going to increase at every stop. "Where'd you buy it?" the 2nd or 3rd question.

Excuses for being off topic:

Although only been MB riding a couple of day's it's very true that at every red light or having to stop unintentionally most other Car/Motorbike people try & get a quick chat and info about the 48cc beast that i'm riding. Fortunately 100% comment's so far have been positive with quite a bit of intrest from such people wanting the same bike setup for local riding etc. However!! If i have just one gripe then it's the high carbon emissions coming from the 2 stroke engine hence if i could reduce such emissions then i think even the French Green Party would vote for such form of cheap transport.

Cheers and happy riding

Back