Lets get rid of the 3 piece crank permanently

its the same crank on a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke
QUOTE]

Wrong again. The 8&1/2" wide 1 piece cranks and the 9" wide 3 piece on the 4-strokes are totally different to any other kit. The one piece is made for a gymnasium exercise bike and they come from one only one source. You would never use those cranks on a bike unless you had to clear the width of the 4 stroke engine 7 tray. You don't need to change your crank for a 2-stroke mount but the special crank that comes with the shifter kit is nowhere near wide enough for a 4-stroke.

Let us set the record straight

Look John… I wish we could all be perfect like you. The sun would rise and set with never a hint of foul weather. The birds would sing and rainbows and strawberry patches would abound as far as the eye could see all whilst you rode your flawless 1 piece crank showpiece off into the Australian sunset. But, guess what? “pobody’s nerfect.” The fact that we are responding to our customers will attest to our commitment to offer what the public wants. Does it take time? Yes, it does. Do we always get it right? No we don’t because we don’t live in John’s perfect world. I would change it if I could, but I can’t so we wait. Patiently or not, we still have to wait in order to resolve the problem.

You can sit on your high horse and pass what you think is judgment, but the true facts will remain the same. Let me set the record straight for you and the rest of the industry.
First of all, you are one person with one opinion, which you are entitled to, but you act as if you represent the entire bike industry. This narrow minded arrogance, coupled with your grotesque unfounded exaggerations and lavishly indulged drama is not only cynical and devious but completely inaccurate, not to mention annoying. It is untrue that 1 piece cranks are preferred 90% of the time. It’s not to say that other consumers don’t share at least part of your opinion, but it’s not nearly as wide spread and dramatic of a pandemic as you would like to think. Believe it or not, we have positive feedback from many satisfied customers. There are many bikes that are being used that require the 3 piece application. The Schwinn Skyline is just one such example. But here is the thing that really ****es me off…you have the gumption to accuse us of changing from 1 piece to 3 piece in order to make more profit? You are going to have to explain that one to me since the 3 piece actually cost more than the 1 piece. How could you possibly contrive that this gives us a profit advantage? Perhaps you are under the delusion that we are making a lot of money selling the adapter kits? Let me set your mind at ease, because the $5 or $6 we make on the adapter kits isn’t exactly fast tracking us to a Fortune 500 company. In fact, since we sourced the adapter kits in China at a much lower cost, we intended to include them in the bike kits as a standard option. This was our vision for a truly universal kit that would work for the 1 piece or the 3 piece crank bike owner not some devious plot to take advantage of them. Your ridiculous implications that it was done for profit couldn’t be farther from the truth. You should get your facts straight before you try to pass judgment and seek support of your unfounded accusations.

You are also wrong about us influencing Grubee and the worldwide market. All distributors in all the countries call out their own specs for either a 3 piece or 1 piece. We simply spec’d ours as 3 piece. All other distributors are free to order whatever they like.

In regard to pedals…I agree that this is a problem. It’s significance was overlooked when we decided to switch to 3 piece. However, a wide variety of pedals can be purchased from your local bike shop, on eBay, or from online bike stores starting at as little as $3.50 a pair.

All this being said, I will concede that the 3 piece cranks were not readily accepted as we had anticipated. Recognizing that this is a problem we responded the only way we could by ordering more product accordingly. At this time we have done everything we can do. Soon we will have 1 piece cranks in stock and we will be sure to consider the demand for these on future orders. To the rest of you who are currently waiting, we apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience while we await the arrival of our 1 piece cranks and mounting kits.

P.S. I’m curious as to why your local Australian authorized distributor MBB Imports doesn’t stock all the parts and kits that you need. I'm surprised you're not hounding them about ordering what suits you. Perhaps they are not stocking the 4 strokes? If not, isn't this an injustice that should be remedied? Maybe you should take them over and free the bicycle engine world from the tyranny and deceit of the 3 piece crank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look John... I wish we could all be perfect like you. The sun would rise and set with never a hint of foul weather. The birds would sing and rainbows and strawberry patches would abound as far as the eye could see all whilst you rode your flawless 1 piece crank showpiece off into the Australian sunset. But, guess what? "pobody's nerfect." The fact that we are responding to our customers will attest to our commitment to offer what the public wants. Does it take time? Yes, it does. Do we always get it right? No we don't because we don't live in John's perfect world. I would change it if I could, but I can't so we wait. Patiently or not, we still have to wait in order to resolve the problem.

You can sit on your high horse and pass what you think is judgment, but the true facts will remain the same. Let me set the record straight for you and the rest of the industry.
First of all, you are one person with one opinion, which you are entitled to, but you act as if you represent the entire bike industry. This narrow minded arrogance, coupled with your grotesque unfounded exaggerations and lavishly indulged drama is not only cynical and devious but completely inaccurate, not to mention annoying. It is untrue that 1 piece cranks are preferred 90% of the time. It's not to say that other consumers don't share at least part of your opinion, but it's not nearly as wide spread and dramatic of a pandemic as you would like to think. Believe it or not, we have positive feedback from many satisfied customers. There are many bikes that are being used that require the 3 piece application. The Schwinn Skyline is just one such example. But here is the thing that really ****es me off...you have the gumption to accuse us of changing from 1 piece to 3 piece in order to make more profit? You are going to have to explain that one to me since the 3 piece actually cost more than the 1 piece. How could you possibly contrive that this gives us a profit advantage? Perhaps you are under the delusion that we are making a lot of money selling the adapter kits? Let me set your mind at ease, because the $5 or $6 we make on the adapter kits isn't exactly fast tracking us to a Fortune 500 company. In fact, since we sourced the adapter kits in China at a much lower cost, we intended to include them in the bike kits as a standard option. This was our vision for a truly universal kit that would work for the 1 piece or the 3 piece crank bike owner not some devious plot to take advantage of them. Your ridiculous implications that it was done for profit couldn't be farther from the truth. You should get your facts straight before you try to pass judgment and seek support of your unfounded accusations.

You are also wrong about us influencing Grubee and the worldwide market. All distributors in all the countries call out their own specs for either a 3 piece or 1 piece. We simply spec'd ours as 3 piece. All other distributors are free to order whatever they like.

In regard to pedals...I agree that this is a problem. It's significance was overlooked when we decided to switch to 3 piece. However, a wide variety of pedals can be purchased from your local bike shop, on eBay, or from online bike stores starting at as little as $3.50 a pair.

All this being said, I will concede that the 3 piece cranks were not readily accepted as we had anticipated. Recognizing that this is a problem we responded the only way we could by ordering more product accordingly. At this time we have done everything we can do. Soon we will have 1 piece cranks in stock and we will be sure to consider the demand for these on future orders. To the rest of you who are currently waiting, we apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience while we await the arrival of our 1 piece cranks and mounting kits.

P.S. I'm curious as to why your local Australian authorized distributor MBB Imports doesn't stock all the parts and kits that you need. I'm surprised you're not hounding them about ordering what suits you. Perhaps they are not stocking the 4 strokes? If not, isn't this an injustice that should be remedied? Maybe you should take them over and free the bicycle engine world from the tyranny and deceit of the 3 piece crank.

Precisely!!!
And might I add, I hadn't heard of this "celebretard" until recently; so I ask: Who are you, exactly, to speak for me as though you are the one and only leading authorit(arian)y on the subject of M/B's?!?
Gawd life must be a real b.**** for you; to not have everything exactly as you want it, when you want it...

Guys, I think it may be time to dial down the rhetoric. Both sides have ably stated their cases. I see no need for piling on with more insults. There are enough forums with that sort of thing.

I humbly appologize. Sorry about that everyone... I got a bit carried away, and should be above that sort of thing.
Rif

Thanks for your explanation Birddog. MBB Imports are very good - they are in fact stocking the very things I've been going on about. They have made a list of all sorts of extras such as HS carburettors, i piece ashtabula cranks, spare freewheel sprockets, spare cables etc. He is new to the 4-strokes and like myself has learnt that certain components are not very good either in quality terms or in business terms. In a small market like Australia you don't order a 40' container load very often so the next shipment will be some time. The problems with cranks has been felt by him as well because his kits came with the 3 piece as standard. No good asking for an extra 20 one pieces from China Gas to tide us over til the next shipment cos you'll get told it's a container load shipment or nothing.
I'm afraid that the 3 piece became the standard kit offering after your request for them because you are maybe the biggest agent for them. Maybe you didn't know that. That was how the cable operated choke became standard as well but that is not so important. If you weren't aware of just how much your crank decision impacted on the rest of the world I can maybe understand why you didn't think you owed anyone an apology but it certainly had a big impact on a lot of people, Uncle Punk excepted, because I don't think he has one of these kits on any of his bikes neither do I believe he has used the 3 piece crank in question. I think I have contributed positively to this Forum since I first logged on in late 2006 by helping other members whenever I could and by posting useful threads about useful stuff but suppliers will think otherwise. I was not aware that MBc was a Suppliers Forum although it has recently begun to read very like one.
I am the first to admit that I owe much of what I've learnt to about 25 other senior members on these pages but none of those guys are suppliers and what they post doesn't read the same way as the recent tosh being written by suppliers who seem to be taking over this website.
I'm a motorised bike kit customer who buys quite a lot of stuff from different suppliers and if I want to complain about what I think the situation is and the suppliers don't like that then so be it.
I sometimes sell built bikes to people and when you sell a finished product with a warranty it isn't like selling a box in a kit. You can see what you are paying for right there in front of you. Not one customer has been willing to accept that 3 piece crank on a cruiser because it looks so absolutely awfull and it pedals as badly as it looks. That is the truth of my experience. Everyone I know who has seen the crank on a built bike just says thse pedals look terrible or words to that effect. I had it on one Schwinn Deluxe 7 bike at a Bikes & Kites Festival show last week-end where 7000 passed by looking and not one person said anything nice about it. Plenty said nice things about the bikes with the 1 piece. If you want to know why that is so I urge you to take a closer look at that crank - admire it's extra 2" of unnecessary width that shows it has never had any care or love applied to it's design. Admire it's short, splayed arms that might just have had some purpose if it was too narrow to clear the engine which it clearly isn't. If you still can't feel the revulsion welling up inside then get on the bike and try pedalling it. If you still feel the need to praise the merits of this crank on a motorised bike riders Forum I feel sorry for you because either you have no passion for bicycles or you are probably a supplier who only wants to hear nice things said about your wares.

I have no problem with you or anyone else voicing an opinion, good or bad. What I do take issue with is when someone forces their opinion on others as fact. In your posts you are basically insinuating that if someone has any opinion other than your own then they have no passion for bicycles or are a narrow minded vendor seeking praise. By all means offer your opinion, but do so without strings attached. You have to allow people to disagree with you without condemning them.

In regard to MBB, sounds like they got what they ordered. Ask them if the order form they used had a picture and text stating 3 piece--I bet it did. It is the dealers responsibility to order one or the other. There really is no standard and it is clearly called out on the order form. I'm sure if you or MBB wanted to cover the shipping that Don would sell a small order of 1 piece cranks. I could talk to him for you if you like.

It might please you to know that in our future orders we will be switching back to 1 piece cranks in our kits as this does seem to be the more popular preference. It is unfortunate that we ran out of spare 1 piece cranks this time around. In the future, we hope to stock enough parts to satisfy consumer demand. In the meantime, believe it or not, we have customers that are quite satisfied with the 3 piece.

That's good to hear Birddog. I am one of your satisfied customers from the days when our dollar was closer to your dollar. Our dollar is now worth very little against yours and even though the slide happened about the same time as the 3 piece fiasco I don't think the two events are connected. I am glad I bought up your surplus 1 pieces but that supply dried up recently.
I wonder how long the 1 piece drought will continue. The next shipment to MBB isn't for some time. I asked Don Grube how much 6 cranks airfreighted would be and he responded with how much a shipping container of them would be FOB Shanghai! Just what I needed.
I can probably get the cranks from the same place Don gets them for about US$ 1.58 each excluding freight but I don't need a 40' container of them.
I hate chasing around for things like this but without the crank I can't get anyone to accept a built bike unless I use a 3 piece temporarily and replace it free of charge later and that becomes very expensive and I end up with lots of of those 3 piece adapters that cost me $60 each to buy plus whatever the 1 piece costs from whoever has it. Also very hard to buy HuaSheng motors as a single item without the kit.

Back